Windows 10: Microsoft family not controlling device

Discus and support Microsoft family not controlling device in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Microsoft family used to control child's device properly, now it does not. The family section of website says I should update Windows 10 device to... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Scott1_167, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Microsoft family not controlling device

Microsoft family used to control child's device properly, now it does not.

The family section of website says I should update Windows 10 device to get it to work properly. I have installed the latest updates, but it did not fix the issue.

:)

Scott1_167, Nov 9, 2019
  2. Junaid_A Win User

Microsoft Family Screen Time

Hi Laurel,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

This could happen when the child account fails to sync with the server. I suggest you to try the steps listed below and check if it works:

• Open
      File Explorer
      and navigate to the following location:
    • C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Parental Controls

Note:
      The above mentioned directory is hidden, copy and paste the same location on the search bar in the File Explorer to access it.
    • Delete the contents in the
      \\settings
      directory of the Parental Controls folder.
    • Reboot the machine to see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, you may want to remove the child account from Microsoft family and add it again.

• To know how to remove an account from Microsoft Family, refer:

Remove members from your family group
    • To know how to add an account to Microsoft Family, refer:

Add members to your family group

Regards,

Junaid_A, Nov 9, 2019
  3. See Devices Connected to Child Account from Microsoft Family website

How to See Devices Connected to Account of Microsoft Family Child Member

One of the many benefits of having a Microsoft account is a family group, which gives you access to family features and settings. It's a free service that helps families stay connected and keeps kids safer on Windows 10, Xbox One devices, and Android devices running Microsoft Launcher. Youll find settings like activity reporting, screen time limits, location sharing, and content filters, where you can also track kids spending and add money to their Microsoft accounts.

A Microsoft family group is separate from other Microsoft apps and programs. You can sign up with your email account. If you already use Skype, youll have a family chat set up and waiting for you once you create your family group. If you dont already have Skype, get more information and sign up to create an account for your family.

Once you set up your family group, you can add or remove child and adult members.

A Microsoft account is what you use to sign in to Microsoft services such as outlook.com (or Hotmail), Office, OneDrive, Skype, Xbox, Windows, and more. It makes your experiences on devices and services more personal and relevant to you.

Any device (ex: PC, phone, tablet, laptop, Xbox, etc...) that you signed in to with your Microsoft account will be associated (connected) with your Microsoft account, and listed under "remove the device.

As an adult in your Microsoft family group, you can see all devices connected to your child's account.

See also:
    This tutorial will show you how to see all devices connected to the Microsoft account of a child member in your Microsoft family group.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: See Devices Connected to Child Account from Microsoft Family website
    • Option Two: See Devices Connected to Child Account from your Microsoft Account Devices webpage

Microsoft family not controlling device [​IMG]
    OPTION ONE
    See Devices Connected to Child Account from Microsoft Family website
    1. Do step 2 or step 3 below for how you would like to manage your family settings online.

2. As an adult in the family, go to the Microsoft Family website, sign in with your Microsoft account if not already, and go to step 4 below.

3. Open Settings in Windows 10, click/tap on the Accounts icon, click/tap on Family & other users on the left side, click/tap on the Manage family settings online link, and go to step 4 below. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on the See devices link for the child member you want to see all devices connected to their account. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO
    See Devices Connected to Child Account from your Microsoft Account Devices webpage
    1. As an adult in the family, go to the Microsoft Account devices webpage, and sign in with your Microsoft account if not already.

2. Select your child's account in the Device view drop down list. (see screenshot below)

3. You will now see all devices connected to your child's Microsoft account. (see screenshots below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

Shawn Brink, Nov 9, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

Microsoft family not controlling device

Changes in Microsoft family

Source: Microsoft account | Whats new for Microsoft family

Brink, Nov 9, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft family not controlling device

1. Microsoft family not controlling device - Similar Threads - Microsoft family controlling

2. parental controls on Microsoft Family are messed up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    parental controls on Microsoft Family are messed up: I removed a family member from our Microsoft family because her account is incorrectly flagged as a child. However, she still requires parental permission to perform certain tasks. This was previously only a minor annoyance, but she recently signed in to Edge on her computer,...
  3. parental controls on Microsoft Family are messed up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    parental controls on Microsoft Family are messed up: I removed a family member from our Microsoft family because her account is incorrectly flagged as a child. However, she still requires parental permission to perform certain tasks. This was previously only a minor annoyance, but she recently signed in to Edge on her computer,...
  4. Duplicate devices in "Microsoft Family"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Duplicate devices in "Microsoft Family": Installed a new SSD on my sons PC. But first I updated the old SSD with win 10 to win 11, then I did a reset on the old SSD in hope to be able to make an image to clone to the new SSD. That failed so I had to do a new fresh install to the new SSD from an Win 11 ISO. That...
  5. Duplicate devices in "Microsoft Family"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Duplicate devices in "Microsoft Family": Installed a new SSD on my sons PC. But first I updated the old SSD with win 10 to win 11, then I did a reset on the old SSD in hope to be able to make an image to clone to the new SSD. That failed so I had to do a new fresh install to the new SSD from an Win 11 ISO. That...
  6. Family Devices not showing in Microsoft Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Family Devices not showing in Microsoft Account: https://account.microsoft.com Used to be able to see family devices, windows machines under Devices listed in the Microsoft Account Online in the Web Browser. The permission for this is set for each Family member and still can be toggled under each Organiser. 181203
  7. microsoft family reporting and controls stopped working

microsoft family reporting and controls stopped working: I have this setup on my sons windows 10 PC. It worked great for weeks by giving me activity reports, restricting content, screen time controls etc. Now it never shows anything and the controls fail to control access. I've tried EVERY fix suggested! I've checked all the...
  8. Microsoft Family Control Issues/Limitations

Microsoft Family Control Issues/Limitations: Hi, I have a bit of an issue with the family controls. I have a son who I added to my family group in order for him to have a PC for School and playing games, but with limits to what he can do and view. With a slight bit of background, he has personal issues and needs help...
  9. Family Controls

Family Controls: Hi all, My son has a new Win 10 laptop for school and I have set up screen time limits and content restrictions. Over the last few months i have noticed erratic appliction of screen time limits and the content restrictions are not working for games he has installed without...
  10. Family device

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Family device: Your child needs to sign in again with their Microsoft account on their device for family features to work properly. But we no longer have access to this device. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/family-device/71cf1d74-d938-4aa1-b6eb-283e0bbc3bc6"