Windows 10: Allow or Block Microsoft Accounts in Windows 10

Discus and support Allow or Block Microsoft Accounts in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Allow or Block Microsoft Accounts in Windows 10 How to Allow or Block Microsoft Accounts in Windows 10 [img] Information Have you ever... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by omidsolo, Nov 9, 2017.

1. omidsolo Win User

Allow or Block Microsoft Accounts in Windows 10

How to: Allow or Block Microsoft Accounts in Windows 10

How to Allow or Block Microsoft Accounts in Windows 10

Allow or Block Microsoft Accounts in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Have you ever used Outlook.com, Hotmail, Office 365, OneDrive, Skype, Xbox, or Windows? The email address and password you use for any of those services is your Microsoft account.

Your Microsoft account gives you access to apps and games from Microsoft Store, and lets you see your settings and other stuff across multiple Windows 10 devices.

You can add a sign in to Windows 10 with a local account or Microsoft account.

If wanted, you are able to block Microsoft accounts on your Windows 10 PC with either of the following security policy settings:
    • Users can't add Microsoft accounts - Users will not be able to sign in to any currently existing Microsoft accounts on the PC.
    • Users can't add or log on (sign in) with Microsoft accounts - In addition to the above, users will not be able to sign in to Windows 10 with existing Microsoft accounts. Users will only be able to sign in to Windows 10 with a local account.
    This tutorial will show you how to allow or block Microsoft accounts on your Windows 10 PC.

You must be signed in as an administrator to allow or block Microsoft accounts on the PC.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Allow or Block Microsoft Accounts in Local Security Policy
    • Option Two: Allow or Block Microsoft Accounts using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Microsoft account (video from Microsoft)

OPTION ONE [/i] Allow or Block Microsoft Accounts in Local Security Policy

Note Local Security Policy is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type secpol.msc into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Local Security Policy.

2. Navigate to Local Policies and Security Options in the left pane of Local Security Policy. (see screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Security Options, double click/tap on the Accounts: Block Microsoft accounts policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Select the setting below you want to apply for this security policy, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)
    • This policy is disabled (default)
    • Users can't add Microsoft accounts
    • Users can't add or log on with Microsoft accounts

5. When finished, you can close the Local Security Policy window if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Allow or Block Microsoft Accounts using a REG file

Note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

NoConnectedUser string value

(delete) = Allow Microsoft accounts (default)
    1 = Users can't add Microsoft accounts
    3 = Users can't add or log on with Microsoft accounts

1. Do step 2 (allow), step 3 (block - can't add), step 4 (block - can't add or sign-in) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Allow Microsoft Accounts
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Allow_Microsoft_accounts.reg

Download

3. To Block Microsoft Accounts so "Users can't add Microsoft accounts"
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Cant_add_Microsoft_accounts.reg

Download

4. To Block Microsoft Accounts so "Users can't add or log on with Microsoft accounts"

Cant_add_or_sign-in_with_Microsoft_accounts.reg

Download
    5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

omidsolo, Nov 9, 2017

2. 'Only see websites on the allowed list' check box missing on family safety website for windows 10

It appears that Microsoft remove the ability to have a while list on windows 10. I want to block all website and only allow the websites on the allowed list. The check box on the family safety website only shows on accounts with devices that are windows
    8.1. I really hope their working on this. Does anyone know if Microsoft has acknowledged this and are going to support this in the future on windows 10?

MichaelGraziano, Nov 9, 2017
  3. Family Safety Web Filtering for Children

I am having some problems getting the Family Safety settings setup correctly on Windows 10. Previously I had my kids setup in Family Safety with Windows 8.1 local machine accounts that only allowed them to view sites that I added to the Allowed List,
    and blocked all others automatically. Upon upgrading to Windows 10, I had to create them child Microsoft accounts and sign them into Windows 10 with them to enable Family Safety. This worked, and both machines are now running Family Safety. The problem
    is, I no longer have the ability to allow them to only view sites on the Allowed List. On the web console I have the ability to block adult content, and I do have Allow and Block lists, but I have no way to only allow only sites on the Allowed List. According
    to the Microsoft Family Safety Article found here (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/set-child-limits), there should be the option "Only see websites on the allowed list." in the web console, but I do not see that particular option.
    Has anyone else run into this, or am I missing something? Thanks!

DarthRamblous, Nov 9, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Thank you omidsolo. *Smile

Process Monitor only showed the value in the tutorial getting changed by the group policy.

The other is just for the "Microsoft Account Sign-in Assistant" service. It was not needed for me to be able to allow or block Microsoft accounts.

Brink, Nov 9, 2017
Thema:

1. Allow or Block Microsoft Accounts in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Allow Block Microsoft

2. allow blocked files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    allow blocked files: i can't found action menu in protection history to allow this blocked file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/allow-blocked-files/2bc70070-ba09-4829-a856-d55ac2044c51
  3. allow blocked files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    allow blocked files: i can't found action menu in protection history to allow this blocked file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/allow-blocked-files/2bc70070-ba09-4829-a856-d55ac2044c51
  4. Allow blocked file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Allow blocked file: I have attempted to use the exclusions to allow a blocked file, but windows security still will not allow me to use this file. I have attempted turning off anti-viruses, to no avail. Help....
  5. Microsoft account was blocked

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft account was blocked: Hi there. First of all i moved my question to probably wrong category as it must be somewhere under microsoft cloud/authorization & authentication category and i hasn't found appropriate one in dropdown boxes below. Next, all i need is to unblock account for my parent...
  6. Microsoft Allowing Problematic Updates To Be Blocked :)

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Microsoft Allowing Problematic Updates To Be Blocked :): Did anyone see this? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930 Seems to be one less reason to reject Windows 10. Good on them. (But I'm not jumping ship yet.) (I'm going to have to come up with a comic image where I'm laying on a therapist's couch, and BunnyJ is...
  7. Allow or Block Access to Microsoft Store App in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow or Block Access to Microsoft Store App in Windows 10: How to: Allow or Block Access to Microsoft Store App in Windows 10 How to Allow or Block Access to Microsoft Store App in Windows 10 The Microsoft Store app in Windows 10 offers various apps, games, music, movies & TV, and books that users can browse through, purchase,...
  8. Allow or Block Microsoft Family Member to Sign in to Windows 10 PC

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow or Block Microsoft Family Member to Sign in to Windows 10 PC: How to: Allow or Block Microsoft Family Member to Sign in to Windows 10 PC How to Allow or Block Microsoft Family Member to Sign in to Windows 10 PC One of the many benefits of having a Microsoft account is a family group, which gives you access to family features and...
  9. Microsoft no longer allows to block Store access in Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft no longer allows to block Store access in Windows 10 Pro: Microsoft is no longer allowing administrators to block Windows 10 Pro users' access to the Windows Store. Up until a month ago, admins could use Group Policy to shut off employees' access to Windows Store if they were running Windows 10 Pro. Controlling this access is a...
  10. Allow or Block Cookies in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow or Block Cookies in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10: How to: Allow or Block Cookies in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 How to Allow or Block Cookies in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and...