Windows 10: Select Audio Channel for Narrator Speech Output in Windows 10

Discus and support Select Audio Channel for Narrator Speech Output in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Select Audio Channel for Narrator Speech Output in Windows 10 How to Select Audio Channel for Narrator Speech Output in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Select Audio Channel for Narrator Speech Output in Windows 10

How to: Select Audio Channel for Narrator Speech Output in Windows 10

How to Select Audio Channel for Narrator Speech Output in Windows 10

Narrator is a screen-reading app built into Windows 10.

Narrator lets you use your PC without a display or mouse to complete common tasks if youre blind or have low vision. It reads and interacts with things on the screen, like text and buttons. Use Narrator to read and write email, browse the internet, and work with documents.

Starting in Windows 10 build 16362, you can now select the desired audio output device for Narrator speech output.

This tutorial will show you how to select the desired audio channel for Narrator speech output for your account in Windows 10.

Here's How:

1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Ease of Access icon.

*note You can also press the Win+Ctrl+N keys to directly open to Narrator settings.

2. Click/tap on Narrator on the left side. (see screenshot below)

3. Under the Personalize Narrator's voice section, select the device your want in the Select where you hear Narrator's voice drop menu.

*note This setting is stored as the DesiredAudioChannel and DisplayedAudioChannel string values in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Narrator\NoRoam registry key.

4. You can now close Settings if you like.

Select Audio Channel for Narrator Speech Output in Windows 10 [​IMG]

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jan 24, 2018

2. Problems with AE-5, driver from 30. April 2018 and Windows 10 64-bit 1803

thx for suggestion, will try that...
    audio output is selected correctly in windows and in sound blaster connect2 gui...even tested the channels...
    will try ur suggestion after reboot

DarkStalker, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    No Sound in Narrator or any other Text-to-speech Apps

Hi Andy,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

• What is the make and model of the machine?
    • Are you aware of any changes that happened on the computer prior to this issue?

This seems like an issue with the audio drivers. You may install the latest audio drivers and check if it works. Refer
    Check Device Manager section under Fix sound problems in Windows 10
    to know more about the same.

If the issue persists after updating drivers, continue reading.

Since you do not hear speech after testing the system, consider the following:

• The speaker volume is not turned up or is muted. Some speakers have external controls for volume and muting. Make sure the volume is turned up sufficiently or that muting is off.
    • The speakers may not be selected as the current output device. On the Text-to-Speech tab, click Audio Output to make sure that the speakers are selected.
    • The speakers might not be connected properly. Consult the speaker hardware documentation for additional information. Make certain that the sound card for the computer is also properly seated and installed, and that the correct drivers are available.
    • The Text-to-Speech engine may be corrupted. To test for corruption, switch to another engine. See the
      Changing the TTS voice or engine section to know more about the same. If another engine is working properly, reinstall the specific engine from the original source. If no engine is working properly, reinstall the speech engine from the original
      source.

Change the TTS Voice or Engine:

To change the Text-to-Speech voice or engine, follow these steps:

• Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click
      Speech Recognition.
    • On the Text-to-Speech tab, the name displayed in the
      Voice selection drop-down list is the active voice.
    • Click the active voice inside the drop-down list, or use the arrow to display a list of available voices.
    • Click a new voice to select it.

The newly selected voice speaks the text in Preview Voice box.
    • Click OK or Apply to accept the new voice.

Notes:

• A Text-to-Speech voice is closely associated with a particular speech engine. It may not be clear from the displayed name which language a voice is using. After selecting a speech engine or voice, test the voice and language by clicking
      Preview Voice.
    • The language or voices supported by a speech engine may not be obvious from the engine's displayed name. Refer to the specific user's guide for detailed information about the engine. This includes not only the language supported, but also the lexicon
      purpose. The lexicon purpose indicates whether it is a general grammar or jargon specific to a profession such as legal or medical.
    • Microsoft does not provide additional speech engines (voices), but a number of third-party products are available that support the new Microsoft Speech API. You may use your favorite Search engine and look for information on these
      products.

You may also want to check if the issue persists on a new user profile. Refer
    Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10
    for the same.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Select Audio Channel for Narrator Speech Output in Windows 10

No Audio Output Device is Installed

Hi,

You will need to select Windows 8 from the drop down list while installing the driver in compatibility mode.

I would suggest you to try setting the speaker as default audio output by following the steps below and check if it helps.

1. Right click on the sound icon on the right bottom corner of the taskbar.

2. Select "playback devices".

3. If "speaker" is not set as the default device, highlight it and click "set as default".

5. Save the changes.

Let us know the result.

Wungraileng Vashi, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Arul_D Win User
    Are there any other voices for Narrator in the Ease of Access in Windows 10?

Hi Melody,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Type narrator in the search bar and press enter.

• Click on voices

• And select find other voices that work with Narrator.
    Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows related issues. We will be happy to help.

Arul_D, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Windows Speech Recognition

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would require more information to help you better.

Are facing any issue with speech recognition?

I would suggest you to follow the steps to see Advance speech options.

• Press Windows+X key on the keyboard
    • Click on control panel
    • Select speech recognition
    • On the left hand pane you will see Advance speech option
    I would also suggest you to refer to the below link:

How to use Speech Recognition

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/using-speech-recognition

(Step applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope this information helps and let us know if you have any further queries related to Windows we will be glad to help you.

Mohammed Yaseer, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Select Audio Channel for Narrator Speech Output in Windows 10

1. Select Audio Channel for Narrator Speech Output in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Select Audio Channel

2. how to select the output audio speakers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to select the output audio speakers: windows Media Player suddenly plays through the laptop speakers rather then the Bose speakers. Last night twas fine. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-select-the-output-audio-speakers/0fe1ce0f-6271-44e7-b84f-6982ab11c8f4
  3. how to select the output audio speakers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to select the output audio speakers: windows Media Player suddenly plays through the laptop speakers rather then the Bose speakers. Last night twas fine. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-select-the-output-audio-speakers/0fe1ce0f-6271-44e7-b84f-6982ab11c8f4
  4. Windows 10 Text to Speech using the Narrator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Text to Speech using the Narrator: ColleaguesI've tried to follow the on-line instructions for using Narrator, i.e. I've turned it on in Settings, but the Narrator then goes into a long introductory dialogue that I do not want to listen to. If I click on OK or Turn Off Narrator to stop the dialogue, the...
  5. Windows 10 Text to Speech using the Narrator

Windows 10 Text to Speech using the Narrator: ColleaguesI've tried to follow the on-line instructions for using Narrator, i.e. I've turned it on in Settings, but the Narrator then goes into a long introductory dialogue that I do not want to listen to. If I click on OK or Turn Off Narrator to stop the dialogue, the...
  6. Windows 11 Audio Output Selection from Taskbar

Windows 11 Audio Output Selection from Taskbar: In Windows 10 you could easily switch the output device of your audio by clicking the speaker on the far right of the taskbar and then choosing your desired audio output device. I can't seem to find the same option in Windows 11, and instead it seems like I have to go all the...
  7. Windows 11 Audio Output Selection from Taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Audio Output Selection from Taskbar: In Windows 10 you could easily switch the output device of your audio by clicking the speaker on the far right of the taskbar and then choosing your desired audio output device. I can't seem to find the same option in Windows 11, and instead it seems like I have to go all the...
  8. How to change Default Audio Output Device for Narrator in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Default Audio Output Device for Narrator in Windows 10: In the most recent version of Windows 10, PC users can now select the desired audio output device for Narrator speech output. In this post, we will show you how to change default Audio Output Device for Narrator for your account in Windows 10. For PC users that are blind or...
  9. When Windows detects a new audio output device, it automatically selects it as the audio output

in Windows 10 Customization
    When Windows detects a new audio output device, it automatically selects it as the audio output: Hello, my issue lies with sound settings. Specifically, the fact that when a new audio output device is detected by Windows, it changes the system's audio output to the new device. However, this is irritating for me as I would rather do this myself as and when I need to....
  10. Change Default Audio Output Device for Narrator in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Audio Output Device for Narrator in Windows 10: How to: Change Default Audio Output Device for Narrator in Windows 10 How to Change Default Audio Output Device for Narrator in Windows 10 Narrator is a screen-reading app built into Windows 10. Narrator lets you use your PC without a display or mouse to complete...