Windows 10: Add or Remove Remote Desktop Users in Windows

Discus and support Add or Remove Remote Desktop Users in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add or Remove Remote Desktop Users in Windows How to Add or Remove Remote Desktop Users in Windows You can use the Remote Desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Add or Remove Remote Desktop Users in Windows

How to: Add or Remove Remote Desktop Users in Windows

How to Add or Remove Remote Desktop Users in Windows

You can use the Remote Desktop Connection (mstsc.exe) or connect to and control your Windows PC from a remote device. When you allow remote desktop connections to your PC, you can use another device to connect to your PC and have access to all of your apps, files, and network resources as if you were sitting at your desk.

By default, administrators on your PC can always connect remotely to your computer even if they are not added as members of the Remote Desktop Users group.

This tutorial will show you how to add or remove users as members of the Remote Desktop Users group to allow connecting remotely to your Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10 PC.

You must be signed in as an administrator to add or remove users from the Remote Desktop Users group.

*note You must enable Remote Desktop on a PC to allow remote connections to the PC.

The Remote Desktop client does not support connecting to the Windows editions below. See: Supported PCs
    • Windows 7 Starter
    • Windows 7 Home
    • Windows 8 Home
    • Windows 8.1 Home
    • Windows 10 Home

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Add or Remove Remote Desktop Users in Remote Desktop Users Settings
    • Option Two: To Add or Remove Remote Desktop Users in Local Users and Groups
    • Option Three: To Add or Remove Remote Desktop Users in Command Prompt
    • Option Four: To Add or Remove Remote Desktop Users in PowerShell

OPTION ONE [/i] To Add or Remove Remote Desktop Users in Remote Desktop Users Settings
    1. Do step 2 (Settings) and/or step 3 (Control Panel) below for how you want to open Remote Desktop Users settings.

2. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon.
    A) Click/tap on Remote Desktop on the left side, click/tap on the Select users that can remotely access this PC link on the right side, and go to step 4 below. (see screenshot below)

Add or Remove Remote Desktop Users in Windows [​IMG]

3. Open the Control Panel (icons view), click/tap on the System icon.
    A) Click/tap on the Remote settings link on the left side, close the System window, and go to step 4 below. (see screenshot below)

B) Click/tap on the Select Users button. (see screenshot below)

4. Do step 5 (add) and/or step 6 (remove) below for what you want to do.

5. To Add Users to Remote Desktop Users Group
    A) Click/tap on the Add button. (see screenshot below)

B) Click/tap on the Advanced button. (see screenshot below)

C) Click/tap on the Find Now button, select the name of the user account (ex: "Brink2") you want to add as a member, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note If you like, you can press and hold the Ctrl key to select more than one user.

D) Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

E) Go to either step 6 (remove) or step 7 (finished) below for what you want to do.

6. To Remote Users from Remote Desktop Users Group
    A) Select a user name (ex: "Brink2") you want to remove as a member, and click/tap on the Remove button. (see screenshot below)

*note If you like, you can press and hold the Ctrl key to select more than one user.

B) Go to either step 5 (add) or step 7 (finished) below for what you want to do.
    7. When finished adding and removing users, click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

8. If you used step 2, you can now close Settings if you like.

9. If you used step 3, click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Add or Remove Remote Desktop Users in Local Users and Groups
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type lusrmgr.msc into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Local Users and Groups.

2. Click/tap on Groups in the left pane of Local Users and Groups, and double click/tap on the Remote Desktop Users group in the right pane. (see screenshot below)

3. Do step 4 (add) and/or step 5 (remove) below for what you want to do.

4. To Add Users to Remote Desktop Users Group
    A) Click/tap on the Add button. (see screenshot below)

B) Click/tap on the Advanced button. (see screenshot below)

C) Click/tap on the Find Now button, select the name of the user account (ex: "Brink2") you want to add as a member, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

D) Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

E) Click/tap on Apply, and go to either step 5 (remove) or step 6 (finished) below for what you want to do. (see screenshot below)

5. To Remote Users from Remote Desktop Users Group
    A) Select a user name (ex: "Brink2") you want to remove as a member, and click/tap on the Remove button. (see screenshot below)

B) Click/tap on Apply, and go to either step 4 (add) or step 6 (finished) below for what you want to do. (see screenshot below)

6. When finished adding and removing users, click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

7. You can now close Local Users and Groups if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Add or Remove Remote Desktop Users in Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Type the command below you want to use into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)
    (Add user)
    *Arrow net localgroup "Remote Desktop Users" "User" /add

OR

(Remove user)
    *Arrow net localgroup "Remote Desktop Users" "User" /delete

*note Substitute User in the command above with the actual name of the user account (ex: "Brink2") you want to add or remove as a Remote Desktop User.
    3. When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Add or Remove Remote Desktop Users in PowerShell

*note For more Add-LocalGroupMember command usage options and details, see: Add-LocalGroupMember - Microsoft Developer Network

For more Remove-LocalGroupMember command usage options and details, see: Remove-LocalGroupMember - Microsoft Developer Network
    1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

2. Type the command below you want to use into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)
    (Add user)
    *Arrow Add-LocalGroupMember -Group "Remote Desktop Users" -Member "User"

OR

(Remove user)
    *Arrow Remove-LocalGroupMember -Group "Remote Desktop Users" -Member "User"

*note Substitute User in the command above with the actual name of the user account (ex: "Brink2") you want to add or remove as a Remote Desktop User.
    3. When finished, you can close the elevated PowerShell if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Dec 7, 2017

2. Remote Desktop

Okay guys need some help here before going crazy...
    I am trying to setup a remote desktop connection and see exactly what the logged on user is looking at with out going through Windows Remote Desktop.

Since its local network I don't have any password or want to setup a password.

Any suggestions are appreciated

kikicoco1334, Oct 26, 2019
  3. remote desktop

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please help me with the below details to understand your issue in a better way:

1. Are you using the Microsoft remote desktop app?

If you are using the Microsoft remote desktop app downloaded from
    Microsoft store then, I suggest you to follow the steps to
    fix problems with apps from Microsoft Store

If the issue still persists with the Microsoft remote desktop app, then you can contact the support team by going to the

link
    and scrolling down to the bottom and clicking on
    Microsoft remote desktop support under the Publisher info.

However, if you are using the Remote desktop connection, which comes pre-installed with Windows 10, then I suggest you to please post your question in the
    TechNet forum.

Hope it helps.

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Add or Remove Remote Desktop Users in Windows

Windows 10 - Remote Desktop

Hi,

We will surely assist you with the issue you are facing with Windows 10.
    - Which version of Windows 10 Operating System are you using?

- Were you able to upgrade to Windows 10 successfully?

I suggest you to refer the below steps and see if this helps.

• Enable remote desktop in settings
      • Control Panel\System and Security\System, Click "Remote Settings" on the left side

• Verify my port forwarding settings were properly forwarding to my computers local IP address
      • run "cmd.exe" and then type "ipconfig". Find your IP from that list
    [*]
    • Make sure your firewall settings are open
    • Go to "Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Firewall\Allowed apps"
    • On the left, click "Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall"
    • Click "Change Settings"
    • Find "Remote Desktop" in the list and make sure both "Private" and "Public" is checked.

Let us know if this helps.

Thank you.

Credits to : Jace_Sango.

Akheel Ahmed, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Windows 10 Remote Desktop - The connection was denied because the user account is not authorized for remote logon

Hi Bill,

I would suggest you to check the suggestions provided in the section "Why can’t I connect using Remote Desktop Connection?" in this article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/remote-desktop-connection-faq#1TC=windows-8

Note: Though this article is for Windows 8.1, the steps mentioned are similar in Windows 10.

Bennet Martin, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Kari Win User
    Remote Desktop Connection problems

Have you tried Remote Desktop Connection, to connect from your Windows 10 laptop to your Windows 7 desktop? Try it first, post back and tell how it went.

Some additional help because you mentioned you are a remote newbie *Wink. The windows 7 related tutorials from our sister site the Seven Forums:

1. On Windows 7 desktop, set network location to either Home or Work (I recommend Work):
    2. On Windows 7 desktop, allow incoming remote connections:
    3. On Windows 7 desktop, find out its IP address:
    4. On Windows 10 laptop, start the Remote Desktop application and connect to the Windows 7 desktop using the IP address from step 3 above (see Part Three in the tutorial):
    Try the above, post back how it went.

Thema:

Add or Remove Remote Desktop Users in Windows

1. Add or Remove Remote Desktop Users in Windows - Similar Threads - Add Remove Remote

2. Microsoft Remote Desktop after add user to the Protected Users group

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Remote Desktop after add user to the Protected Users group: I need to connect to the company Server, and I get this error:A user account restriction such as a time restriction prevents me from logging in.[Content]A user account restriction such as a time restriction prevents you from logging in. For assistance, contact your system...
  3. Microsoft Remote Desktop after add user to the Protected Users group

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Remote Desktop after add user to the Protected Users group: I need to connect to the company Server, and I get this error:A user account restriction such as a time restriction prevents me from logging in.[Content]A user account restriction such as a time restriction prevents you from logging in. For assistance, contact your system...
  4. Microsoft Remote Desktop after add user to the Protected Users group

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. How to add or remove Remote Desktop users in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to add or remove Remote Desktop users in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]If you want to add or remove Remote Desktop users in Windows 11 or Windows 10, here is how you can do that. It is possible to create or assign a new Remote Desktop user in Windows PC with the help of Windows Settings, Local Users and Groups, PowerShell, and Command...
  6. Add users for Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Add users for Remote Desktop: Hi All,This may seem like a simple question but I cannot find an answer after much searching. I want to set up Remote Desktop to access a computer let's call it computer2 over the internet from my home computer computer1. Both computers are running Windows 10 Pro. I...
  7. Remote Desktop - Multiple Users

Remote Desktop - Multiple Users: I have set up my primary PC in my basement and am using a laptop to remote into it in my office. I have remote desktop set up so that I as the primary user (admin) can log in, but I would like to set up additional profiles so that my kids can log in using their profiles on...
  8. remote desktop users

remote desktop users: I have a problem in that i user disconnects the other user, more detail below: The main pc (called Server-pc) has 3 users, 'administrator', 'owner' and 'client'. another computer has 1 user (client) when the 'owner' is using the server-pc and the another pc user on pc...
  9. Remove Remote Desktop Connection in Remote Desktop app on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Remove Remote Desktop Connection in Remote Desktop app on Windows 10: How to: Remove Remote Desktop Connection in Remote Desktop app on Windows 10 How to Remove a Remote Desktop Connection in Remote Desktop app on Windows 10 PC You can download and install the free connect to a remote PC or virtual apps and desktops made available by your...
  10. Add Remote Desktop Connection in Remote Desktop app on Windows 10 PC

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Remote Desktop Connection in Remote Desktop app on Windows 10 PC: How to: Add Remote Desktop Connection in Remote Desktop app on Windows 10 PC How to Add a Remote Desktop Connection in Remote Desktop app on Windows 10 PC You can download and install the free connect to a remote PC or virtual apps and desktops made available by your...