Windows 10: Are failure of Clipboard History and Windows Stickies linked?

Discus and support Are failure of Clipboard History and Windows Stickies linked? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A while back I started a thread about the failure of Clipboard History, for which I have still not found a fix. I have just discovered, after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by clayto, Oct 15, 2019.

1. clayto Win User

Are failure of Clipboard History and Windows Stickies linked?

A while back I started a thread about the failure of Clipboard History, for which I have still not found a fix. I have just discovered, after neglecting Stickies for a while, that it has also failed. The loss of both of these services is a bind, as with them I lost some passwords (including the one for this site) and other important codes. Fortunately I found Stickies had synced successfully to my Android Tablet, confirming the usefulness of this new feature, but I have not had the same luck with Clipboard History. Recent clips which were stored on a useful third party app, ClipClip, are now no longer listed. I await a reply from the Developer to my question about the possibly of them still hiding somewhere on my PC.

I have re-installed Stickies from the Store and it seems to be working again with current Sticky notes, whereas Clipboard History is still not working at all. The possibility occurred to me that maybe the problems with the two apps is linked? This is probably a silly question, as I do not know of any link between them apart from my use of them for similar purposes. On the other hand I suspect that eventually I will find that both of the problems will be corrected by editing the Registry, something which I have virtually no experience with.

:)

clayto, Oct 15, 2019

2. To Turn On or Off Clipboard History in Settings

How to Turn On or Off Clipboard History in Windows 10

Copy paste its something we all do, probably multiple times a day. But what do you do if you need to copy the same few things again and again? How do you copy content across your devices? Starting with Windows 10 build 17666, Microsoft is addressing that and taking the clipboard to the next level simply press Win+V and youll be presented with a brand-new clipboard experience.

Not only can you can paste from the clipboard history, but you can also Sets, which means you can access your clipboard across any PC with this build of Windows or higher.

*note Roamed text on the clipboard is only supported for clipboard content less than 100 kb. Currently, the clipboard history supports plain text, HTML and image less than 1 MB.

*note Starting with Windows 10 build 18234, the image size limit has been increased from 1MB to 4MB to accommodate the potential size of full screen screenshots taken on a high-DPI devices.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off clipboard history for your account to save multiple clipboard items to use later in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On Clipboard History from Win+V
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off Clipboard History in Settings
    • Option Three: To Turn On or Off Clipboard History using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Clipboard history

Are failure of Clipboard History and Windows Stickies linked? [​IMG]

OPTION ONE
    To Turn On or Off Clipboard History in Settings

*note This option is only available starting with Windows 10 build 17704.
    1. Press the Win+V keys to open clipboard history.

2. If clipboard history is currently turned off, click/tap on Turn on. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO
    To Turn On or Off Clipboard History in Settings

*Warning Turning off clipboard history using this option will pinned items.
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon.

2. Click/tap on Clipboard on the left side, and turn on or off (default) Clipboard history for what you want on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION THREE
    To Turn On or Off Clipboard History using a REG file

*note Turning off clipboard history using this option will not pinned items.

The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Clipboard

EnableClipboardHistory DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Clipboard History
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_ON_Clipboard_History.reg

3. To Turn Off Clipboard History
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_OFF_Clipboard_History.reg

4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

Shawn Brink, Oct 15, 2019
  3. Enable or Disable Clipboard History in Local Group Policy Editor

How to Enable or Disable Clipboard History in Windows 10

Copy paste its something we all do, probably multiple times a day. But what do you do if you need to copy the same few things again and again? How do you copy content across your devices? Starting with Windows 10 build 17666, Microsoft is addressing that and taking the clipboard to the next level simply press Win+V and youll be presented with a brand-new clipboard experience.

Not only can you can paste from the Sets, which means you can access your clipboard across any PC with this build of Windows or higher.

Roamed text on the clipboard is only supported for clipboard content less than 100 kb. Currently, the clipboard history supports plain text, HTML and image less than 1 MB.

Starting with Windows 10 build 18234, the image size limit has been increased from 1MB to 4MB to accommodate the potential size of full screen screenshots taken on a high-DPI devices.

If needed, you can set a group policy in Windows 10 to allow (enable) or prevent (disable) users from being able to turn on Clipboard History for their accounts on the PC. This policy setting determines whether history of Clipboard contents can be stored in memory.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the Clipboard History feature for all users in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable Clipboard History.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Clipboard History in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Clipboard History using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Clipboard History enabled and disabled in Settings

OPTION ONE
    Enable or Disable Clipboard History in Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, click/tap on to expand Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, System, and OS Policies. (see screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of OS Policies, double click/tap on the Allow Clipboard History policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Clipboard History for All Users
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Clipboard History for All Users
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO
    Enable or Disable Clipboard History using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry keys below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System

AllowClipboardHistory DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    0 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Clipboard History for All Users
    *note This is the default setting.

Enable_Clipboard_History_for_all_users.reg

3. To Disable Clipboard History for All Users

Disable_Clipboard_History_for_all_users.reg

4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

Shawn Brink, Oct 15, 2019
  4. Are failure of Clipboard History and Windows Stickies linked?

view clipboard history

"Upon copying something, the previous clipboard content is always overwritten. This means that there is always no history saved on the clipboard. You can use third-party applications which record your clipboard history, but you cannot recover your clipboard
    history prior to the installation of that app.'

Source -
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

E for Excel, Oct 15, 2019
Thema:

Are failure of Clipboard History and Windows Stickies linked?

1. Are failure of Clipboard History and Windows Stickies linked? - Similar Threads - Are failure Clipboard

2. Clipboard History Not turning On!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clipboard History Not turning On!!: Hi,Please help me I recently updated my windows 11 and when i took screen shot and tried to paste it it didn't paste, Then I tried opening clipboard it didn't open , then i googled it and i came to know my clipboard history was off and i enabled it but the problem was not...
  3. Clipboard History

in Windows 10 Customization
    Clipboard History: Hi, I'm having trouble getting the new clipboard history to work. It is definitely activated Having trawled the internet and tried everything that has been suggested on various forums, I downloaded and ran "Windows Hotkey Explorer" the free version, which shows the...
  4. Clipboard History

Clipboard History: I'm troubled in syncing my clipboard history to other devices. How can it be solved? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clipboard-history/e56b5433-5abc-4110-be57-466e38e7c8d6
  5. Clipboard History

Clipboard History: Is there a way I can check yesterday's clibpboard history from copying and pasting? I never used clipboard history before and it's really important. I'm hoping theres a way I can see everything I copied or pasted yesterday....
  6. Clipboard delay to appear in the clipboard history

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Clipboard delay to appear in the clipboard history: Hello, i'm using windows 10 with the feature clipboard activated but, after copy something it delays to appear in my clipboard history. several 15, 30 seconds - in certain cases 1 minute or more. Scope: I'm using two versions of Windows 10 Enterprise 1809 and 1909 with a...
  7. Windows Clipboard History not working!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Clipboard History not working!: When I hit Win+V the window sometimes shows up but displays no content or is fully transparent. Clipboard History is enabled in the Settings, Policies and Registry. It works on the new "Administrator" account that seems to have been added in recent Update KB4535996 which cant...
  8. Clipboard History not working

Clipboard History not working: So recently, from an update about 1-2 months ago, when I do windows key + v, it tries to show the clipboard history window (it sort of shows an empty clipboard or a transparent window), then it disappears as if it crashed after 1 second or not all. This only occurs the 1st...
  9. clipboard history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    clipboard history: I still don't get the clip board history until 2019-6-13 screenshot1 [ATTACH] screenshot2 [ATTACH] screenshot3 [ATTACH] can i manually install it or get update in comming days...
  10. Clipboard History

Clipboard History: I use Clipboard History on my other Windows 10 PC but the MS Surface Pro (2017) doesn't appear to be available. I have tried adding in reg but no luck. It isn't available in setup either. Is this a 'feature' or a restriction to the Surface Pro?...