Windows 10: Create Windows Backup in Windows 10

Discus and support Create Windows Backup in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Create Windows Backup in Windows 10 How to Create a Windows Backup in Windows 10 [img] Information The Backup and Restore (Windows 7)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Create Windows Backup in Windows 10

How to: Create Windows Backup in Windows 10

How to Create a Windows Backup in Windows 10

Create Windows Backup in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information The Backup and Restore (Windows 7) feature (aka: Windows Backup) was originally included in Windows 7. It was deprecated in Windows 8 and removed in in Windows 8.1, but has been included in Windows 10.

While you can use Backup and Restore (Windows 7) to restore any Windows 7 backups on your Windows 10 PC, you can also use it to back up and restore files on your Windows 10 PC.

Windows Backup will backup all files in the libraries, folders, and drives you choose or let Windows choose. You will have a choice to include a system image in the backup. You can also choose to have these items be backed up on a regular schedule.

After you have set up Windows Backup on your PC, you can manually create backups on demand.

This tutorial will show you how to manually create a Windows Backup on demand in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to create a Windows Backup.

Note Data file backups are created in sets also known as backup periods.

When a backup is created the first time after you set up Windows Backup, Windows will create a full backup of all files in the folders you selected into the drive:\computer name\Backup Set YYYY-MM-DD HHMMSS\Backup Files YYYY-MM-DD HHMMSS folder location. The Backup Files YYYY-MM-DD HHMMSS folder contains Backup files #.zip folders that are your actual backed up files for that date and time period.

When you create a differential backup, it will create a new full backup saved into a new Backup Set YYYY-MM-DD HHMMSS folder.

When you create an incremental backup, it will create a backup all of the files that have changed since the last backup, and saved in a new Backup Files YYYY-MM-DD HHMMSS folder in the current Backup Set YYYY-MM-DD HHMMSS folder.

System images are saved in this format:

drive letter:\WindowsImageBackup\computer name\Backup YYYY-MM-DD HHMMSS
    EXAMPLE: If your computer name is Brink-W10PC, your backup location is on hard drive (network or local) E: and you backed up on January 23rd 2017 at 5:01:54 PM (it will use 24 hour time), then your system image would be located in the folder below.

E:\WindowsImageBackup\Brink-W10PC\Backup 2017-01-23 190154

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Create Windows Backup in "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)"
    • Option Two: To Create Windows Backup in Elevated Command Prompt

OPTION ONE [/i] To Create Windows Backup in "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)"
    1. Open Settings, click/tap on the Update & security icon, click/tap on Backup on the left side, and click/tap on the Go to Backup and Restore (Windows 7) link under Looking for and older backup on the right side. (see screenshot below)

Note You can also open Backup and Restore (Windows 7) by opening the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Backup and Restore (Windows 7) icon.

2. Click/tap on the Back up now button to create a backup with your current Windows Backup settings. (see screenshot below)

Note If you see a Set up backup button instead, then it means you will need to set up Windows Backup first.

You can click/tap on the Change settings link to make any changes you want for Windows Backup before creating a backup.

3. Windows Backup will now create an incremental backup based on your settings. (see screenshots below)

4. When finished, you can now close Backup and Restore (Windows 7) if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Create Windows Backup in Elevated Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Copy and paste the command you want to use below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)
    (To silently create an incremental backup)
    *Arrow sdclt.exe /KICKOFFJOB

(To create an incremental backup with details)
    *Arrow cmd /c sdclt.exe /KICKOFFJOB & sdclt.exe /UIMODE /SHOW

(To silently create a differential backup)
    *Arrow sdclt.exe /KICKOFFNEW

(To create a differential backup with details)
    *Arrow cmd /c sdclt.exe /KICKOFFNEW & sdclt.exe /UIMODE /SHOW

3. Windows Backup will now create a backup based on your settings.

Note If you get the error below, then it means you will need to set up Windows Backup first.

4. If you used a command to view details of the backup, then you can click/tap on Close when the backup has finished. (see screenshots below)

5. You can now close the elevated command prompt if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Oct 22, 2017
  2. Scrizz Win User

Windows 10

no, you can't go back..
    I suggest creating a backup image of your os drive

Scrizz, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Windows 10

its already there. there is a hard set factory image from samsung. problem is it takes a long time to get that backup into the drive again and destroys the C drive data.

so looks like i wont be trying windows 10 anytime soon *Stick Out Tongue Create Windows Backup in Windows 10 :p

de.das.dude, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Help, cant create windows image

Hello there, @fullinfusion!

It seems like some sort of an OS confusion has happened with your secondary WD Black and I'm sorry to hear about that. *Frown Create Windows Backup in Windows 10 :(
    Maybe re-formatting it would help indeed as the community already mentioned. I'd suggest to take a look at this step-by-step how to partition and format an HDD: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=PYCoid
    Keep in mind that this will wipe clean the drive, so you should backup all important data from the drive somewhere else.
    I noticed from the screenshots that your HDD appears as Disk 0, this means that it's plugged in the primary SATA port where the SSD (as an OS drive) should be. Actually it is possible that because of this Windows cannot create the image there. Swap the ports of the SSD and the HDD, this might help as well.

Keep me posted. Hope this helped! *Smile Create Windows Backup in Windows 10 :)
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Create Windows Backup in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Create Backup

2. How to restore windows 11 from system image backup without creating repair disc?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to restore windows 11 from system image backup without creating repair disc?: I have taken a system image backup from my windows 11 laptop. Now I am trying to restore it but getting the prompt to create repair disc. How can I restore without creating the disc? Image has been attached for reference....
  3. How to restore windows 11 from system image backup without creating repair disc?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to restore windows 11 from system image backup without creating repair disc?: I have taken a system image backup from my windows 11 laptop. Now I am trying to restore it but getting the prompt to create repair disc. How can I restore without creating the disc? Image has been attached for reference....
  4. If I Uncheck 'Create an Image' in the Backup & Restore Tool, Would That Make It the Same as...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If I Uncheck 'Create an Image' in the Backup & Restore Tool, Would That Make It the Same as...: Hi Microsoft friends. I have a 500GB internal drive with Windows 11 installed and 500GB USB external backup drive. If I uncheck 'Create an Image' in the Backup & Restore Tool, would that make it the same as File History both restore the program, you have to reininstall them...
  5. If I Uncheck 'Create an Image' in the Backup & Restore Tool, Would That Make It the Same as...

If I Uncheck 'Create an Image' in the Backup & Restore Tool, Would That Make It the Same as...: Hi Microsoft friends. I have a 500GB internal drive with Windows 11 installed and 500GB USB external backup drive. If I uncheck 'Create an Image' in the Backup & Restore Tool, would that make it the same as File History both restore the program, you have to reininstall them...
  6. Problems with creating backup on Windows 11 of just one drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with creating backup on Windows 11 of just one drive: I work on a laptop with 2 m.2 drives, one is primarily for work/systems and the other is for games as they are big. My main C drive has received a warning about possible failure, 'Warning: reliability is degraded Back up your data in case of drive failure' and as a result, I...
  7. Problems with creating backup on Windows 11 of just one drive

Problems with creating backup on Windows 11 of just one drive: I work on a laptop with 2 m.2 drives, one is primarily for work/systems and the other is for games as they are big. My main C drive has received a warning about possible failure, 'Warning: reliability is degraded Back up your data in case of drive failure' and as a result, I...
  8. After creating a Microsoft Backup recovery drive on a 14 TB HDD using Windows 11, can I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After creating a Microsoft Backup recovery drive on a 14 TB HDD using Windows 11, can I...: I've just created a Microsoft Backup recovery drive on a 14 TB external HDD. In addition to the 32 GB Active Primary Partition, there is a 2016 GB Unallocated Partition and a !0991 GB Unallocated on the recovery drive. Can I store other data to be backed up in the 10,991 GB...
  9. After creating a Microsoft Backup recovery drive on a 14 TB HDD using Windows 11, can I...

After creating a Microsoft Backup recovery drive on a 14 TB HDD using Windows 11, can I...: I've just created a Microsoft Backup recovery drive on a 14 TB external HDD. In addition to the 32 GB Active Primary Partition, there is a 2016 GB Unallocated Partition and a !0991 GB Unallocated on the recovery drive. Can I store other data to be backed up in the 10,991 GB...
  10. How can I create a complete disk image backup in Win 10 that I can access in Win 11?

How can I create a complete disk image backup in Win 10 that I can access in Win 11?: I bought a new laptop running Win 11 to replace my old laptop running Win 10. I would like to create a complete backup of everything on the old Win 10 system on a USB drive. Then I want to be able to "mount" the USB drive on Win 11 and access the files and folders using...