Windows 10: Group Policy does not disable Realtime Protection in Windows Security

Discus and support Group Policy does not disable Realtime Protection in Windows Security in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi Guys i have a Group Policy set: computer configuration\administrative templates\windows components\windows defender antivirus\real-time protection... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by 4k3or3et, Nov 13, 2019.

1. 4k3or3et Win User

Group Policy does not disable Realtime Protection in Windows Security

Hi Guys

i have a Group Policy set:

computer configuration\administrative templates\windows components\windows defender antivirus\real-time protection - turn off real-time protection to enable.

However realtime protection is still enabled in the Windows Security application.

I am on Windows 10 1909.

Does anyone has the same issue?

:)

4k3or3et, Nov 13, 2019

2. Windows Defender Group Policy Disabeled

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

As you have stated you want to disable the group policy so that you can run windows defender on the computer.

I would like to suggest few troubleshooting steps:

Method 1: Disable group policy from gpedit.msc

• Press Windows key + R.

• Type gpedit.msc and click Ok.(it will open Local Group policy editor)

• Go to Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Defender.

• In the right pane of
      Windows Defender
      in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the
      Turn off Windows Defender
      policy to edit it.

• Select (dot) Not Configured or
      Disabled, click/tap on OK,

• When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.
    If the issue still persist you can follow method 2.

Method 2: Disable group policy from registry.

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow
    these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the
    article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

• Press Window Key +R.

• Type regedit and click. (it will open registry)

• Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender

• Right Click on Window Defender to create a new Dword.

• Click on New and Select Dword.

• Type DisableAntiSpyware.

• Right click on DisableAntiSpyware and click on modify.

• Set the value to 0 instead of 1.

Hope this information is helpful. If the issue still persists, you can write back to us and we will be glad to assist you further.

Morris Subba, Nov 13, 2019
  3. SMP disable reccomended by Microsoft- Is there a group policy for this?

Why disable it by Group Policy when just installing the appropriate Security Fix through Windows Updates will protect your systems?

IJustHelping, Nov 13, 2019
  4. Group Policy does not disable Realtime Protection in Windows Security

Enable or Disable Screen Saver Password Protection in Local Group Policy Editor

How to Enable or Disable Screen Saver Password Protection in Windows

A screen saver is a moving picture or pattern that displays on the screen(s) of your PC after you have not been active on the PC for specified period of time to wait. Screen savers were originally used to save older, monochromatic monitors from damage, but now they are mainly a way to personalize your PC or enhance its security by offering password protection.

By default, users are able to check or uncheck the On resume, display logon screen box in their screen saver settings for what they want for screen saver password protection.

If you like, you can set to always enable or disable screen saver password protection for users.

If enabled, the sign in on resume from the screen saver.

If disabled, the sign in on resume from the screen saver.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable screen saver password protection for specific or all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable screen saver password protection.

*tip If you enable or disable screen saver password protection, then you may also want to specify a screen saver.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Screen Saver Password Protection in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Screen Saver Password Protection for All Users using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Screen saver password protection default, enabled, and disabled

Group Policy does not disable Realtime Protection in Windows Security [​IMG]

OPTION ONE
    Enable or Disable Screen Saver Password Protection in Local Group Policy Editor

*note In Windows 7, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 8, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Pro and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 10, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two.

1. Open the all users except administrators Local Group Policy Editor for how you want this policy applied.

2. In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, click/tap on to expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Control Panel, and Personalization. (see screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Personalization, double click/tap on the Password protect the screen saver policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable), step 6 (disable), or step 7 (default) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Always Enable Screen Saver Password Protection
    A) Select (dot) either Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Disable Screen Saver Password Protection
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

7. Default (user choice) Screen Saver Password Protection
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

8. When finished, you can close Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO
    Enable or Disable Screen Saver Password Protection for All Users using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the string value in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop

ScreenSaverIsSecure string value

(delete) = Default
    0 = Disable
    1 = Enable

1. Do step 2 (enable), step 3 (disable), or step 4 (default) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Always Enable Screen Saver Password Protection for All Users
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Always_enable_screen_saver_password_protection_for_all_users.reg

3. To Disable Screen Saver Password Protection for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Disable_screen_saver_password_protection_for_all_users.reg

4. Default (user choice) Screen Saver Password Protection for All Users

Default_screen_saver_password_protection_for_all_users.reg

5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. You could now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

Shawn Brink, Nov 13, 2019
Thema:

Group Policy does not disable Realtime Protection in Windows Security

1. Group Policy does not disable Realtime Protection in Windows Security - Similar Threads - Group Policy does

2. Group Policy won't apply to Security Group

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Group Policy won't apply to Security Group: Dear allI have a problem applying Group Policy when Security filtering is done by Security Group.Policy is couple of year old and it has been working perfectly till some time ago not sure when, I realized I have i problem a month ago.So, under Security filtering I have...
  3. Group Policy won't apply to Security Group

in Windows 10 Customization
    Group Policy won't apply to Security Group: Dear allI have a problem applying Group Policy when Security filtering is done by Security Group.Policy is couple of year old and it has been working perfectly till some time ago not sure when, I realized I have i problem a month ago.So, under Security filtering I have...
  4. I can not disable Realtime Protection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I can not disable Realtime Protection: Everytime i try to disable realtime protection it goes back to being on... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-can-not-disable-realtime-protection/2a3d5aac-719e-43a8-9a80-fdb5439b42f1
  5. I can not disable Realtime Protection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can not disable Realtime Protection: Everytime i try to disable realtime protection it goes back to being on... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-can-not-disable-realtime-protection/2a3d5aac-719e-43a8-9a80-fdb5439b42f1
  6. I can not disable Realtime Protection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Does group policy REALLY works to disable updates?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does group policy REALLY works to disable updates?: The day before yesterday i couldn't lower my laptop brightness, i use brigthness control A LOT (keyboard shotcuts). Tried to find the brightness option in the system panel, no luck. Googled it.. still couldnt find it. Next thing i know, i couldnt connect it to my tv, or...
  8. Windows security does not respect the local policy group anymore ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows security does not respect the local policy group anymore ?: [ATTACH] On Windows 10 (insider 1903, 18362.10024), It seems that Windows security does not respect the "Turn off real-time protection" anymore. At boot, the real-time protection will always be on. Anyone facing the same problem?...
  9. Why does WIn10 start with "Realtime Protection" disabled?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why does WIn10 start with "Realtime Protection" disabled?: I have it pretty frequently lately that somewhen between 15 and 30 minutes after a system restart I get an warning-popup telling me that my system's real-time protection is off and that this leaves my system vulnerable. I then typically go into the security settings and...
  10. Disable Group Policy

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disable Group Policy: Hi, I've tried following the community instructions to disable 'group policy' (changing DWORD 'Start' to Decimal 4), yet there's an error and I'm unable to do this ('cannot edit Start: error writing the value's new contents'). I bought my computer as a demo from Harvey...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 group policy editor wont tunr off realtime protection