Windows 10: Do Not Display Last Signed-in User Name on Windows 10 Sign-in

Discus and support Do Not Display Last Signed-in User Name on Windows 10 Sign-in in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Do Not Display Last Signed-in User Name on Windows 10 Sign-in How to Do Not Display Last Signed-in User Name on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by shanks55, Dec 26, 2015.

1. shanks55 Win User

Do Not Display Last Signed-in User Name on Windows 10 Sign-in

How to: Do Not Display Last Signed-in User Name on Windows 10 Sign-in

How to Do Not Display Last Signed-in User Name on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10

Windows 10 has a new sign in screen that is more modern and touch friendly. By default, you need to dismiss the sign in to Windows 10 with your account.

By default, the sign in screen will show the names of added accounts for a user to select their account and provide their sign-in credentials.

If you like, you can enable or disable the Interactive logon: Don't display last signed-in security policy to determine whether the Windows sign-in screen will show the username of the last person who signed in on the PC.

If enabled, the sign-in screen will only show Other user at startup, restarts the computer, then the sign-in screen will still be normal requiring only a sign-in option.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable whether the sign-in screen will show the username of the last user who signed in to Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to do the steps in this tutorial.

*note Other user can also show on the sign in screen if you set Windows to change the computer name afterwards.

If you disable the lock screen, the Other user sign-in screen may not always show the correct background for the user.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Displaying User Names on Sign in Screen using Security Policy
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Displaying User Names on Sign in Screen using a REG file
    EXAMPLE: "Don't display last signed-in" Enabled and Disabled

(Default - disabled)

Do Not Display Last Signed-in User Name on Windows 10 Sign-in [​IMG]

(Enabled - At startup, sign out, or Switch user)

(Enabled - Lock or Restart while signed-in)

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Displaying User Names on Sign in Screen using Security Policy

*note This option is only available in the Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.
    1. Open Local Security Policy (secpol.msc).

2. Expand open Local Policies in the left pane, and click/tap on Security Options. (see screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Security Options, double click/tap on Interactive logon: Don't display last signed-in. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Displaying User Names on Sign in Screen
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below step 6)

6. To Disable Displaying User Names on Sign in Screen
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshots below)

7. You can now close Local Security Policy if you like.

8. Users will see the change the next time they sign in.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Displaying User Names on Sign in Screen using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and change the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

dontdisplaylastusername DWORD

0 or delete = enable
    1 = disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Displaying User Names on Sign in Screen
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Display_users_on_Sign_in_screen.reg

Download

3. To Disable Displaying User Names on Sign in Screen
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Do_not_display_users_on_Sign_in_screen.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

8. Users will see the change the next time they sign in.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

shanks55, Dec 26, 2015
  2. lizschuur Win User

Windows Update on my new hp laptop

My new hp did a Windows update last night and now it recognizes me and calls me by name, but tells me I have to

"dismiss the lock screen to sign back into Windows"

If I touch the screen or hit the mouse, the display goes entirely blue and the message

"User profile service service failed the sign-in. User cannot be loaded" comes up.

What?? How do I get signed in??

lizschuur, Dec 26, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Login Screen - How to Modify

In short, No.I haven't seen an article like this where this could happen.Ten forums has following tutorials related to sign In screen:

• Sign-in Animation - Turn On or Off in Window 10
    • Sign-in Message for Users - Add in Windows 10
    • Sign-in on Wakeup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10
    • Sign-in Screen Accent Color - Change in Windows 10
    • Sign-in Screen Background Image - Change in Windows 10
    • Sign-in Screen Background Image - Enable or Disable in Windows 10
    • Sign-in Screen - Do Not Display User Name in Windows 10
    • Sign-in Screen - Enable or Disable Num Lock in Windows 10
    • Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup

Sumit Dhiman2, Dec 26, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Shanks55, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

When using the disable option, it will ask users to enter both a user name and password.

You should be able to enter the email address of your Microsoft account as the user name, and then your password for it.

Brink, Dec 26, 2015
  5. shanks55 Win User
    While installation of windows 10,I didn't set any account.I just follow those steps.On the screen it is displaying Other User.

shanks55, Dec 26, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    What did you use to install Windows 10, and how did you install it?

When you setup Windows 10, you go through the process of setting up an administrator account by default.

Brink, Dec 26, 2015
  7. shanks55 Win User
    I installed it directly through Microsoft site.
    Yeah by default it was set as an administrator . right

shanks55, Dec 26, 2015
  8. shanks55 Win User

Can I expect any help or shall I format my system

shanks55, Dec 26, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I think some patience may help. *Wink

Are you able to type in the user name and password of the user account you setup while installing Windows?

Did you do this tutorial to have to type user name and password, or did this just happen directly after installing Windows?

Brink, Dec 26, 2015
  10. shanks55 Win User
    Great.
    I installed Windows 10 when it officially comes 2 months back
    from the notification bar.
    I just wanted to remove the username from the startup screen.
    So I followed your instructions.
    After I restarted my laptop username and password screen Appeared.
    I tried using my Microsoft account but it doesn't seems to be working.
    When I installed Windows,I might have skipped the account related activities.
    So now I'm not able to use it.

shanks55, Dec 26, 2015
  11. shanks55 Win User
    I can able to type in user name and password.
    It just happens directly brother.

shanks55, Dec 26, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You should be able to type in the user name and password of the same account you signed in to before setting this.

If not, then you could try doing a system restore at boot using a restore point (if available) dated before you set this to undo it.

System Restore Windows 10

Brink, Dec 26, 2015
  13. shanks55 Win User

Hey Shawn thanks for the help mate.

Neither I know the username and password nor does I saved a restore point back then.
    Anything possible.

shanks55, Dec 27, 2015
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Dec 27, 2015
  15. shanks55 Win User
    Hey Shawn! it worked.
    I resets my laptop.
    Thanks mate for helping me out.

shanks55, Dec 27, 2015
Thema:

1. Do Not Display Last Signed-in User Name on Windows 10 Sign-in - Similar Threads - Display Last Signed

2. sign in name

in Windows 10 Customization
    sign in name: how to I change the name from owner to my name on my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sign-in-name/661fcf45-30cd-46bd-8c9f-6d7449980f80
  3. How to automatically sign in to last user in Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How to automatically sign in to last user in Windows 10: So in my laptop, i have 2 user. One is administrator, and another is standard user. When sign in, im always go to the second account standard user, even though the last opened user is administrator. How do i change it so the last user automatically sign in?...
  4. My /user/<name> directory is not connected to my desktop or sign in directory <first last name>

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My /user/<name> directory is not connected to my desktop or sign in directory <first last name>: I am running to this issue on my new microsoft surface computer where I am using the command line which is sourced to my /user/name but is not connected to my desktop or personal folders I've created. This is presenting a problem in a class I'm doing because I cannot connect...
  5. All user names not on Sign-In Screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    All user names not on Sign-In Screen: Split from this thread. Hi can any one help me to solve this issue with my pc. I'm using windows 10 pro. On my pc welcome screen not showing multiple user name to log in. I added users as my family members in account sitting. But user name not display on welcome screen....
  6. Windows 10-----sign in and users

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10-----sign in and users: I recently purchased a new Acer Aspire 1 laptop with windows 10 Home. This my 1st PC with win 10 home. With win 10 home, do you have to have a Microsoft account to sign into the computer/laptop? Or can you create local user accounts? I have win 10 pro on another...
  7. signing on with administrator user name & password

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    signing on with administrator user name & password: always signed in with Microsoft account & password next am after upgrade to windows 10 version 1803 I had an administrator account on the opening page. I signed in with MS account. Anything I wanted to do or change went to the sign in with administrator account with...
  8. Windows 10 Policy to display Last user name

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 Policy to display Last user name: Hello, I have changed the security policies in the registry entries Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System donotdisplaylastusername donotdisplaylockeduserid so that my user id will be displayed when my PC boots or when I...
  9. Sign In: Want to select a User Name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Sign In: Want to select a User Name: Hi. At the moment, when I start Windows 10, I have to sign in (without giving a password) to the last User that was signed in. In other words I don't have any options as to what User can sign in. But, when I start Windows 10, I want to be presented with a screen where I can...
  10. Display Last Sign-in Information during User Sign-in in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Display Last Sign-in Information during User Sign-in in Windows 10: How to: Display Last Sign-in Information during User Sign-in in Windows 10 [img] Information You can control whether or not the system displays information about previous sign-ins and sign-in failures to the user. For local accounts and domain user accounts (in domains...