Windows 10: Easy Guide: How to Manage Controlled Folder Access in Windows Defender Security Center

Discus and support Easy Guide: How to Manage Controlled Folder Access in Windows Defender Security Center in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Since 2016, Microsoft has included ransomware protection in Windows 10. This security feature of the Windows Defender Security Center protects your... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Andre Da Costa, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Easy Guide: How to Manage Controlled Folder Access in Windows Defender Security Center

Since 2016, Microsoft has included ransomware protection in Windows 10. This security feature of the Windows Defender Security Center protects your computer and files from becoming compromised. In recent times, there has been a rise in large institutions and on individual user devices being attacked by ransomware; requiring users to pay money to regain access to their files.

Users should never pay a ransom if this ever happens. Instead, you should format your system then restore your files from a backup.

Even though ransomware protection is reassuring protection that is included in Windows 10, it can sometimes interfere with legitimate actions. If you are launching application, opening files or saving them to your personal folders, they might be blocked by the Controlled Access Feature. If this is happening to you, your best option is to temporarily disable it. In this article, we show you how to do that.

Related:

Easy Guide: How to Scan a Thumb Drive or External Hard Disk Using Windows Defender

Easy Guide: Exclude a File or Application in Windows Defender Security Center

Easy Guides are intended to make it easy for users to follow instructions regarding basic tasks in Windows 10. Guides are a single info-graphic that you can follow from beginning to end.

Easy Guide: How to Manage Controlled Folder Access in Windows Defender Security Center b8073bc3-f767-4d30-b460-e952417fe446?upload=true.png

Re-enable Controlled Folder Access.

Easy Guide: How to Manage Controlled Folder Access in Windows Defender Security Center 06f8cb17-87df-41b1-a3ac-847711ac8681?upload=true.png

:)

Andre Da Costa, Oct 20, 2019

2. Turn On or Off Controlled Folder Access in Windows Defender Security Center

How to Enable or Disable Windows Defender Exploit Guard Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10

Starting with Windows 10 build 16232, Controlled folder access is introduced in Windows Defender Antivirus.

Controlled folder access helps you protect valuable data from malicious apps and threats, such as ransomware. It is part of Windows Defender Exploit Guard.

Controlled folder access in add an app to the list of safe or allowed apps to prevent them from being blocked.

You can add additional folders to the list of protected folders, but you cannot alter the default list, which includes folders such as Documents, Pictures, Movies, and Desktop. Adding other folders to Controlled folder access can be handy, for example, if you dont store files in the default Windows libraries or youve changed the location of the libraries away from the defaults.

For more details about Controlled folder access, see:
    This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the Controlled folder access feature of Windows Defender Exploit Guard in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable Controlled folder access.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On or Off Controlled Folder Access in Windows Defender Security Center
    • Option Two: Turn On or Off Controlled Folder Access in PowerShell
    • Option Three: Enable or Disable Controlled Folder Access in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Four: Enable or Disable Controlled Folder Access using a REG file

Easy Guide: How to Manage Controlled Folder Access in Windows Defender Security Center [​IMG]
    OPTION ONE
    Easy Guide: How to Manage Controlled Folder Access in Windows Defender Security Center [​IMG]
    Turn On or Off Controlled Folder Access in Windows Defender Security Center

*note Turning on or off Controlled folder access will modify the DWORD value in the protected registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Windows Defender Exploit Guard\Controlled Folder Access

EnableControlledFolderAccess DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

1. Open the Windows Defender Security Center, and click/tap on the Virus & threat protection icon. (see screenshot below)

2. Click/tap on the Manage ransomware protection link under the Ransomware protection section. (see screenshot below)

3. Turn On or Off (default) Controlled folder access for what you want. (see screenshots below)

4. Click/tap on Yes when prompted by UAC to approve.

5. When finished, you can close Windows Defender Security Center if you like.

OPTION TWO
    Turn On or Off Controlled Folder Access in PowerShell
    1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

2. Enter the command below you want to use into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)
    (Default - Turn off Controlled folder access)
    *Arrow Set-MpPreference -EnableControlledFolderAccess Disabled

OR

(Turn on Controlled folder access)
    *Arrow Set-MpPreference -EnableControlledFolderAccess Enabled
    3. You can now close the elevated PowerShell if you like.

OPTION THREE
    Enable or Disable Controlled Folder Access in Local Group Policy Editor

*Warning If this option is enabled or disabled, it will prevent turning on or off Controlled folder access using Option One and Option Two.

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Four below.
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Defender Antivirus\Windows Defender Exploit Guard\Controlled folder access

3. In the right pane of Controlled folder access in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Configure Controlled folder access policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (default), step 6 (enable), or step 7 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Use Default Controlled Folder Access Settings
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshots below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Always Enable Controlled Folder Access
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, select Block in the "Configure the guard my folders feature" drop menu, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshots below)

7. To Always Disable Controlled Folder Access
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, select Disable (Default) in the "Configure the guard my folders feature" drop menu, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshots below)

8. When finished, close the Local Group Policy Editor.

OPTION FOUR
    Enable or Disable Controlled Folder Access using a REG file

*Warning If this option is enabled or disabled, it will prevent turning on or off Controlled folder access using Option One and Option Two.

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD values in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Windows Defender Exploit Guard\Controlled Folder Access

EnableControlledFolderAccess DWORD

(delete) = Default
    0 = Disable
    1 = Enable

1. Do step 2 (default), step 3 (enable), or step 4 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Use Default Controlled Folder Access Settings
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Default_Controlled_Folder_Access.reg

3. To Always Enable Controlled Folder Access
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Always_Enable_Controlled_Folder_Access.reg

4. To Always Disable Controlled Folder Access

Disable_Controlled_Folder_Access.reg

5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

Shawn Brink, Oct 20, 2019
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Windows Defender/HP Solution Center

Hi,

It is possible that the Control folder access is enabled that is why its blocking the access to user folders when scanning with HP Solution Center. To resolve your issue, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article to disable the allow a blocked app in Windows Defender Security Center.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Oct 20, 2019
Thema:

Easy Guide: How to Manage Controlled Folder Access in Windows Defender Security Center

1. Easy Guide: How to Manage Controlled Folder Access in Windows Defender Security Center - Similar Threads - Easy Guide Manage

2. Defender controlled folder access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender controlled folder access: while i was using my system i got a message saying "Unauthorized changes blocked" and it was explorer.exe what is happening and what should i do please advice...
  3. Windows Security - Controlled Folder access

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Security - Controlled Folder access: Windows 10 Pro 1903 Windows updated to all quality updates and definition updates as of this post Windows Defender Antivirus antimalware platform - Version 4.18.2001.10 The issues that is occurring is when I have controlled folder access turn on and I go into control...
  4. Windows Defender Security Center

Windows Defender Security Center: My Windows Defender Security Center is not working. There are no options like virus & threat protection and others. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-security-center/2f1968ec-0098-4aae-b4c5-ef25f94f5cc6"
  5. Windows Defender Security Center

Windows Defender Security Center: Hi, Every time I connect to VPN(Client Network) from My personal laptop I get windows defender security center popup- Its shows all as green but yet it continuously pop up. I can not type a mail or do anything else. It happens only when VPN connection is done. I tried to...
  6. Windows Defender Security Center

Windows Defender Security Center: I have a problem with access to Windows Defender settings. I am not able to turn application and file checking on. It says that in order to change the setting I have to be an administrator but I am already an administrator. I am sorry for this being written in Croatian. I...
  7. Easy Guide Links

in Windows 10 Customization
    Easy Guide Links: Andre Da Costa's Easy Guide Links How to Create Desktop Shortcuts for Microsoft Store and Desktop Apps https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/easy-guide-how-to-create-desktop-shortcuts-for/e9340b1c-e952-42fc-92ce-63cb58b5b0d2 How to...
  8. Windows Defender Security Center

Windows Defender Security Center: I keep getting notification that threats has been found, "Windows anti virus protection found threats. Get details. When I click on the message or manual open the defender center I get the message there are no current threats and the center is locked up. I have rebooted...
  9. Windows Defender Security Center

Windows Defender Security Center: Under Virus & Threat protection I click on learn more and it then goes to sign in. When I try to sign it tell me This doesn't look like a work or school email. You can't sign in here with a personal account. Use your work or school account instead This is a personal...
  10. Windows Defender Security Center

Windows Defender Security Center: When I boot my system (Windows 10 Home Ed.) "Windows Defender Security Center" always pops up windowed (not minimised). is this normal (I can't remember that it was always like this) and can I do something about it so that it starts minimised ? 112234

Users found this page by searching for:

1. manage control folder access windows defender

2. manage controlled folder

3. controlled folder access windows