Windows 10: How to limit or set Maximum CPU Usage for Windows Defender Scan

Discus and support How to limit or set Maximum CPU Usage for Windows Defender Scan in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows Defender Antivirus has a maximum 50% CPU usage for a scan by default in Windows 10. But, you can specify a percentage of CPU... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Nov 11, 2019.

1. WinClub New Member

How to limit or set Maximum CPU Usage for Windows Defender Scan

WinClub, Nov 11, 2019

2. To See Current Maximum CPU Usage for Scan by Windows Defender Antivirus

How to Change Windows Defender Antivirus Maximum CPU Usage for a Scan in Windows 10

Windows Defender Antivirus.

Windows Defender Antivirus helps protect your PC against malware (malicious software) like viruses, spyware, and other potentially unwanted software. Malware can infect your PC without your knowledge: it might install itself from an email message, when you connect to the Internet, or when you install certain apps using a USB flash drive, CD, DVD, or other removable media. Some malware can also be programmed to run at unexpected times, not only when it's installed.

Windows Defender Antivirus has a maximum 50 percentage CPU usage for a scan by default in Windows 10. If you like, you can specify a percentage of CPU usage you want Windows Defender Antivirus to not exceed.

See also: Configure Windows Defender Antivirus scanning options | Microsoft Docs

This tutorial will show you how to specify the maximum percentage CPU usage allowed for a scan by Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to specify maximum percentage CPU usage for a scan by Windows Defender Antivirus.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To See Current Maximum CPU Usage for Scan by Windows Defender Antivirus
    • Option Two: To Specify Maximum CPU Usage for Scan by Windows Defender Antivirus in PowerShell
    • Option Three: To Specify Maximum CPU Usage for Scan by Windows Defender Antivirus in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Four: To Specify Maximum CPU Usage for Scan by Windows Defender Antivirus using a REG file for Local Group Policy

How to limit or set Maximum CPU Usage for Windows Defender Scan [​IMG]
    OPTION ONE
    To See Current Maximum CPU Usage for Scan by Windows Defender Antivirus
    1 Open an elevated PowerShell.

2 Copy and paste the command below into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    Get-MpPreference | select ScanAvgCPULoadFactor
    3 You will now see the ScanAvgCPULoadFactor value (ex: "50") for the current maximum percentage CPU usage for a scan.

4 You can now close the elevated PowerShell window if you like.

OPTION TWO
    To Specify Maximum CPU Usage for Scan by Windows Defender Antivirus in PowerShell
    This option will set the AvgCPULoadFactor DWORD value in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scan key in Registry Editor.

1 Open an elevated PowerShell.

2 Type the command below into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    Set-MpPreference -ScanAvgCPULoadFactor <percentage>

Substitute <percentage> in the command above with a value of 5 to 100 for the maximum CPU usage you want to specify.

Setting a value of 0 will disable CPU throttling for Windows Defender Antivirus allowing Windows Defender Antivirus to use as much CPU as it wants.

50 is the default value.

For example: Set-MpPreference -ScanAvgCPULoadFactor 50

3 You can now close the elevated PowerShell window if you like.

OPTION THREE
    To Specify Maximum CPU Usage for Scan by Windows Defender Antivirus in Local Group Policy Editor
    The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

If the policy in this option is enabled to specify, it will override Option Two.

All editions can use Option Two or Option Four.

1 Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2 In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Defender Antivirus/Scan

3 In the right pane of Scan in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Specify the maximum percentage of CPU utilization during a scan policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4 Do step 5 (specify) or step 6 (undo) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Policy to Specify Maximum CPU Usage for Scan by Windows Defender Antivirus
    A) Select (dot) Enabled. (see screenshot below)

B) Under Options, type a value of 5 to 100 for the maximum CPU usage you want to specify, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below.

Setting a value of 0 will disable CPU throttling for Windows Defender Antivirus allowing Windows Defender Antivirus to use as much CPU as it wants.

50 is the default value.

6. To Undo Policy to Not Specify Maximum CPU Usage for Scan by Windows Defender Antivirus
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

Not Configured is the default setting.

7 When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION FOUR
    To Specify Maximum CPU Usage for Scan by Windows Defender Antivirus using a REG file for Local Group Policy
    The option is for the same policy as Option Three.

If the policy in this option is enabled to specify, it will override Option Two.

1 Press the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2 Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scan

If you do not have a Scan key, then right click on the Windows Defender key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type Scan for the name, and press Enter.

3 Do step 4 (specify) or step 5 (undo) below for what you would like to do.

4. To Enable Policy to Specify Maximum CPU Usage for Scan by Windows Defender Antivirus
    A) In the right pane of the Scan key, double click/tap on the AvgCPULoadFactor DWORD value to modify it. (see screenshot below step 2)

If you do not have a AvgCPULoadFactor DWORD, then right click on an empty area in the right pane of the Scan key, click/tap on New, click/tap on DWORD (32-bit) Value, type AvgCPULoadFactor for the name, and press Enter.

B) Select (dot) Decimal, type a value of 5 to 100 for the maximum CPU usage you want to specify, click/tap on OK, and go to step 6. (see screenshot below)

50 is the default value.

5. To Undo Policy to Not Specify Maximum CPU Usage for Scan by Windows Defender Antivirus
    A) In the right pane of the Scan key, right click on the AvgCPULoadFactor DWORD value, and click/tap on Delete. (see screenshot below step 2)

B) Click/tap on Yes to confirm, and go to step 6. (see screenshot below)

6 You can now close Registry Editor if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

Shawn Brink, Nov 11, 2019
  3. Windows Defender CPU Usage

Hi,

Windows Security Essentials and Windows Defender are different programs that has different settings. On Windows Defender, you cannot limit its CPU usage during scanning.

Please check this
    link
    for more information about Windows Defender.

Thank you.

Marielle Cas, Nov 11, 2019
  4. a_808 Win User

Windows Defender CPU Usage

I read online that Microsoft Security Essentials used to have an option to limit its own cpu usage during scanning. Is there a similar option in Windows 10 Defender? If so, how can I access it?

a_808, Nov 11, 2019
Thema:

1. How to limit or set Maximum CPU Usage for Windows Defender Scan - Similar Threads - limit set Maximum

2. Windows Defender CPU Usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender CPU Usage: Is there a way to forcefully reduce Defender's CPU usage? Now it is managing to slow down even one of my best computers, an Asus sporting a Ryzen 7 4800H. On an old laptop with a Haswell i5 also running Win10, I've always kept Defender disabled as it just makes the system run...
  3. CPU usage is limited.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    CPU usage is limited.: [ATTACH] Sometimes when i disconnect from the wifi and connect via ethernet the cpu is limited to 35%, as you can see in the image, and the computer slows down, and i have to reboot. Task manager only reaches 35% and rainmeter skin 100% When normally it's almost the same...
  4. How to limit CPU maximum speed in new Windows 10 version?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to limit CPU maximum speed in new Windows 10 version?: Hi all, I need to limit CPU maximum speed in my new laptop due to a couple of specific problems that seems to be recurring with the brand and will go away if CPU maximum speed is limited to bellow 100% (following other online forums). I recently did this with another laptop...
  5. 100% CPU usage during Defender Scan

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100% CPU usage during Defender Scan: I have closed out all possible bloat junk I can and made sure nothing funky was set to run on start up and yet it still freezes mid scan. Also, just started freezing while playing lower demand games which led me to run a scan....
  6. Windows Defender CPU usage

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender CPU usage: Hello there, We're encounter a strange problem with our Windows Defender and SCEP in our company. Everything run fine till 1-2 weeks ago. We manage our Windows Defender or SCEP through SCCM. There we have policies that limit CPU usage at 30%. Excluded is also the...
  7. CPU Usage limited to 22%?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CPU Usage limited to 22%?: So when I use my computer and I do heavy tasks like video editing, my CPU hits 100% usage and gets respectable temps of around 60-75C while rendering (this is Balanced Performance Mode, by the way). However, the moment I plug in my laptop, my CPU usage in Task Manager will...
  8. Set Windows Defender Antivirus Max CPU Usage for a Scan in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Set Windows Defender Antivirus Max CPU Usage for a Scan in Windows 10: How to: Set Windows Defender Antivirus Max CPU Usage for a Scan in Windows 10 How to Change Windows Defender Antivirus Maximum CPU Usage for a Scan in Windows 10 Windows Defender Antivirus. Windows Defender Antivirus helps protect your PC against malware (malicious...
  9. How Useful is Defender Limited Periodic Scanning?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How Useful is Defender Limited Periodic Scanning?: I use Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS) 2016 which turns off Defender by default. I notice there is the new Defender feature of Limited Periodic Scanning. How useful is this for a KIS user? Does it add a useful layer of additional security or just hog resources for a limited...
  10. Changing process priority or limiting maximum CPU

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Changing process priority or limiting maximum CPU: Is there any way to change task priority in W10, as it was in previous versions (Task Manager|Set Priority)? Dropbox likes to spend the first 10 minutes after waking up my computer taking 60-90% of processor cycles, and I've also noticed other processes which seem to pop...