Windows 10: Turn On or Off Collect Activity History in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Collect Activity History in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Collect Activity History for Timeline in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Collect Activity History for Timeline in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by omidsolo, Nov 26, 2017.

1. omidsolo Win User

Turn On or Off Collect Activity History in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Collect Activity History for Timeline in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Collect Activity History for Timeline in Windows 10

Starting with Windows 10 build 17040, Microsoft added settings that let you to view and manage your activity history. Your collected activity history allows you to jump back into what you were doing with apps, docs, or other activities, either on your PC or your phone. To resume your activities, Windows needs to collect your PC activity.

Microsoft account and given your permission, Windows sends your activity history to Microsoft. Microsoft uses the activity history data to provide you with personalized experiences (such as ordering your activities based on duration of use) and relevant suggestions (such as anticipating what your needs might be based on your activity history).

The following Windows 10 features use your activity history. Be sure to refer back to this page following future releases and updates to Windows to learn what additional services and features use your activity history:

Timeline - Timeline is available starting with Windows 10 build 17063. See a timeline of activities and be able to resume those activities from your device. For example, lets say that you were editing a Word document on your device, but you were unable to finish before you had to leave the office for the day. If you selected the Store my activity history on this device check box on the Activity history settings page, you would see that Word activity in your timeline the following day, and for the next several days, and from there, you could resume working on it. If you selected the Send my activity history to Microsoft check box and you were unable to finish before you had to leave the office for the day, not only would you see that Word activity in your timeline for up to 30 days, but you could also resume working on it later from another device.

Cortana - When collecting activity history only on your device, Cortana lets you pick up where you left off on that device. If you choose to send your activities to the cloud, you can pick up where you left off with activities you started on other devices. Cortana will notify you about those activities so you can resume them quickly on your device, and with sync turned on, across your other devices. Note that for the cross-device Pick up where you left off experience to work you need to have the Browsing history permission turned On in Cortana.

Microsoft Edge - When you use Microsoft Edge, your InPrivate tabs or windows.

If you've signed in to your device with a Microsoft account and enabled the setting to send Microsoft your activity history, Microsoft uses your activity history data to enable cross-device experiences. So even when you switch devices, you will be able to see notifications about your activities and resume them. For example, your activity history can also be sent to Microsoft when using another Windows 10 device or certain Microsoft apps on an iOS or Android device. You can continue activities that you started from those other devices on your Windows device. Initially, this will be limited to Microsoft Edge mobile, but will soon include Office mobile apps like Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.

Microsoft will also use your activity history to improve Microsoft products and services when the setting for sending your activity history to Microsoft is enabled. We do this by applying machine-learning techniques to better understand how customers in general use our products and services. We also diagnose where customers encounter errors and then help fix them.

Regarding multiple accounts: Activity history is collected and stored locally for each local account, personal Microsoft account (MSA), or work or school account (AAD) that you have associated with your device in Settings > Accounts > Email & accounts. When you choose to send your activity history to Microsoft, activities from the primary account on that device are sent to Microsoft. If you have more than one device, and you have multiple accounts on one or more of those devices, you can see activity history from your second devices primary account on the first device (as a secondary account). You can also see these accounts under Settings > Privacy > Activity history, where you can filter out activities from specific accounts from showing in your timeline. Hiding an account does not delete the data on the device, nor in the cloud.

See also:
    This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off allowing Windows 10 to collect and sync your account's (local account or Microsoft account) activity history on the PC for Timeline, Cortana, and Microsoft Edge.

[n2]enabled, running, and set to Automatic (Delayed Start).[/nb2]

Here's How:

1 Open Settings, and click/tap on the Privacy icon.

2 Do step 3 (show), step 4 (store), and/or step 5 (send) below for what you want to do.

3 To Turn On or Off Filter Activities for your Accounts from your Timeline
    This setting allows you to control which of your accounts appear in Microsoft account, and a work or school account.

A) Click/tap on Activity history on the left side, and turn on (default) or off for each of your accounts listed (if available) under Show activities from these accounts on the right side for what you want. (see screenshot below)

Turn On or Off Collect Activity History in Windows 10 [​IMG]

4 To Turn On or Off "Store my activity history on this device"
    A) Click/tap on Activity history on the left side, and check (on - default) or uncheck (off) Store my activity history on this device on the right side for what you want. (see screenshot below)

5 To Turn On or Off "Send my activity history to Microsoft"
    A) Click/tap on Activity history on the left side, and check (on - default) or uncheck (off) Send my activity history to Microsoft on the right side for what you want. (see screenshot below)

If you turn syncing off, you won’t be able to use a full 30 days in your timeline or get cross-device activity experiences.

6 When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

omidsolo, Nov 26, 2017

2. Microsoft access to my activity

I received a new computer with Windows 10 for Christmas. I have not activated it because I have heard that Windows 10 still has a lot of bugs in it and that it reports all files, keystrokes, history, etc. back to Microsoft and that feature cannot be turned
    off.

Is this true?

Kdavis1952, Nov 26, 2017
  3. RonaldDad Win User
    Win 10 File History "No Usable Drives Found", not able to select the Internal drive for File History.

In a clean install of Win 10 from an upgrade from Win 7, File History was functioning on a 3rd internal drive I use for backups.

Because of a great deal of useless installation data being collected, I wanted to reset File History. Windows, from the Backup page of Settings, said I had to turn off the service first (do not remember specific wording as I was not troubleshooting then).
    I turned it off.

When I went back to turn it on again (without actually doing any editing to the file history file set), I attempted to Add a drive. Add a drive gives a "no usable drives found."

Using various diagnostic tests, including SFC and Troubleshooting from Control Panel, I found no problems with the system. I reformatted this 1TB drive (quick with default settings.

How can I convince Windows that this internal drive is good for File History?

Many thanks!

Ron

RonaldDad, Nov 26, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Doesn't show up for a registry entry.

Brink, Nov 26, 2017
  5. lx07 Win User
    What does it save?

As far I can see it is only certain MS apps (like Powerpoint or Edge as described in one of your links) and then only if you save to OneDrive not locally.

Is there any description of what it is supposed to do anywhere?

6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    There's nothing official yet, but it appears to be part of the coming TimeLine feature.

Brink, Nov 27, 2017
  7. Hi,
    So this activity history is in the Privacy section ?
    My bad you do show it there *Redface

ThrashZone, Nov 27, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Collect Activity History in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Collect

2. Clipboard history even when history is turned off?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clipboard history even when history is turned off?: Hello,So I tried copying something and I got a pop-up '24 of 24 - Clipboard Item not collected...'.Btw why is this notification not in my notifications?? Ah, yes that is the MS way.Ok fair enough, but what surprised me was that seemingly there is some collection of copied...
  3. Clipboard history even when history is turned off?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clipboard history even when history is turned off?: Hello,So I tried copying something and I got a pop-up '24 of 24 - Clipboard Item not collected...'.Btw why is this notification not in my notifications?? Ah, yes that is the MS way.Ok fair enough, but what surprised me was that seemingly there is some collection of copied...
  4. History off how to turn it ON

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    History off how to turn it ON: simple solution to turning file history on so I can back up to cloud https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/history-off-how-to-turn-it-on/06d95968-eeea-4458-bdc5-68bc3592f331
  5. What exactly does Activity History collect?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What exactly does Activity History collect?: I'm sure everyone here already know that Windows 10 logs the things we do in Activity History for the Timeline. I've read on this thread that it will continue to do so even if you choose to disable this feature. That reddit thread by u/a_potato_is_missing, ended up getting...
  6. turn off windows 10 desktop history

in Windows 10 Customization
    turn off windows 10 desktop history: Please tell me how I can turn off the desktop display with my history showing. My desktop is erratic, the mouse jumps all over the place, desktop history expands to 9 items on desktop and shrinks if I try to click on it. I just want my regular desktop with no history...
  7. Turn On or Off Device and Search History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Device and Search History in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Device and Search History in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Device and Search History for On-device Searches in Windows 10 taskbar to find help, apps, files, settingsyou name it. You can also get quick answers from the weblike weather, stock...
  8. Turn On or Off Clipboard History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Clipboard History in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Clipboard History in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Clipboard History in Windows 10 Copy paste its something we all do, probably multiple times a day. But what do you do if you need to copy the same few things again and again? How do you copy...
  9. Enable or Disable Collect Activity History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Collect Activity History in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Collect Activity History in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Collect Activity History in Windows 10 Starting with let you pick up where you left off. Your collected activity history allows you to jump back into what you were doing with...
  10. Turn On or Off File History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off File History in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off File History in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off File History in Windows 10 [img] Information File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10. You can use File History to automatically back up versions of...