Windows 10: Enable or Disable Timeline in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Timeline in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Timeline in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Timeline in Windows 10 Timeline is now available in Windows 10 starting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Timeline in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Timeline in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Timeline in Windows 10

Timeline is now available in Windows 10 starting with build 17063.

It can be difficult to get back to stuff you were working on in the past. You might sometimes forget which site or app you were using or where you saved a file. Now you can finally close apps without worryingwith Timeline, you can get right back to where you left off.

Timeline introduces a new way to resume past Task View, allowing you to switch between currently running apps and past activities.

In Timeline, a user activity is the combination of a specific app and a specific piece of content you were working on at a specific time. Each activity links right back to a webpage, document, article, playlist, or task, saving you time when you want to resume that activity later.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the Task View for all accounts on a Windows 10 PC.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable Timeline.

*note Disabling Timeline will clear the activity history of all users from the PC.

*note enabled, running, and set to Automatic (Delayed Start).

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Timeline in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Timeline using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Timeline enabled and disabled

Enable or Disable Timeline in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Timeline in Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option TWO below.
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\OS Policies

3. In the right pane of OS Policies in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Enables Activity Feed policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Timeline
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Enabled​ (recommended), click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured[/B] is the default setting.

6. To Disable Timeline
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Timeline using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System

EnableActivityFeed DWORD

0 = Disable
    1 = Enable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Timeline
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Timeline.reg

Download

3. To Disable Timeline
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Timeline.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. restart the computer to apply.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Aug 17, 2017
  2. swarfega Win User

This is what my GPO is saying: Ive just enabled the first two:

swarfega, Oct 26, 2019
  3. swarfega Win User

The latest is that it worked when I put an imgur link on skype today but none of the links that I entered directly into Chrome throughout the day have shown up.

swarfega, Oct 26, 2019
  4. ericnixmd Win User

I never had Chrome show up. I ended up disabling Timeline due to HIPAA concerns (use my laptop at work in the hospital).

If you get Chrome to show up, let me know. I may enable it on my personal account.

ericnixmd, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Timeline Activity not showing up

The timeline activity just won't show up on the timeline window. I always get "Use your PC more for activities."

I have enabled the settings required for timeline in Privacy > Activity History:

Let Windows collect my activities

Let Windows Sync my activities

Show activities from accounts

I also tried using regedit to add these variables in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System

• EnableActivityFeed
    • PublishUserActivities
    • UploadUserActivities
    All the variables are set to 1, and are DWORD values. (as stated in this article http://www.thewindowsclub.com/timeline-feature-not-working-windows), to no effect.

Any more troubleshooting steps I can go through?

HiranmayaGundu, Oct 26, 2019
  6. RingTailCoon, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Timeline in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Timeline

2. Touchpad + Windows 10 + Enable/Disable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Touchpad + Windows 10 + Enable/Disable: After the recent update, I am unable to disable/enable my touch-pad from neither the settings nor from the hot keys. The enable/disable option has been removed. why ? I really need to disable my touch-pad on-board mouse, as it is very problematic while typing/coding....
  3. Windows 10 timeline

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 timeline: windows 10 1909 So basically whenever i try to remove the activity history in the timeline.. after a deleting a few history. the screen goes black for a second and comes back on. and when i check the reliability history it says explorer. exe has stopped working. here is...
  4. Windows 10 timeline

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 timeline: windows 10 1909 So basically whenever i try to remove the activity history in the timeline.. after a deleting a few history. the screen goes black for a second and comes back on. and when i check the reliability history it says explorer. exe has stopped working. i have done...
  5. windows 10 Timeline

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows 10 Timeline: Traduit en: Français Afficher l'original Timeline s'affiche mais aucune recherhe precedente s'affiche malgré l'ancrage de l'article lu [ATTACH] Texte d'origine Proposer une meilleure traduction...
  6. Enable or Disable Touchpad in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Touchpad in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Touchpad in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Touchpad in Windows 10 If your Windows 10 PC (ex: laptop) has a built-in touchpad, you may want to enable or disable on demand. This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the touchpad...
  7. Enable or Disable Sets in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Sets in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Sets in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Sets in Windows 10 [img] Warning Sets is no longer available in Windows 10. Sets shell provided tab experience is no more in Windows 10 Microsoft had Windows Insiders as a controlled...
  8. Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 10 Hibernate is a power-saving state designed primarily for laptops, and might not be available for all PCs (PCs with InstantGo don't have the hibernate option). While sleep...
  9. Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10 Cortana is your cloud-based personal assistant that works across your devices and other Microsoft services. Depending on the capabilities of your device and the version of...
  10. Enable or Disable Account in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Account in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Account in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable User Accounts in Windows 10 User accounts help control which files and apps each person can use and what changes they can make to the PC. If you have a user account that you want to make...