Windows 10: Change Location of OneDrive Folder in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Location of OneDrive Folder in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Location of OneDrive Folder in Windows 10 How to Change the Location of your OneDrive Folder in Windows 10 OneDrive is a free... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change Location of OneDrive Folder in Windows 10

How to: Change Location of OneDrive Folder in Windows 10

How to Change the Location of your OneDrive Folder in Windows 10

OneDrive is a free online storage service that comes bundled with Windows 10. You can use OneDrive with your Microsoft account to save your files there and you'll be able to get to them from any PC, tablet, or phone.

Windows 10 syncs your OneDrive online with the OneDrive folder on your PC.

By default, Windows stores your OneDrive folder in your account's %UserProfile% folder (ex: "C:\Users\Brink").

You can change where files in this OneDrive folder are stored to another place on the hard drive or another drive.

This tutorial will show you how to change the default location of your OneDrive folder to where you want in Windows 10.

Here's How:

1. Right click or press and hold on the OneDrive icon on the taskbar notification area, click/tap on the menu (3 dots) button, and click/tap on Settings. (see screenshot below)

*note If OneDrive is currently not running to show this icon, then run: %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDrive.exe

Change Location of OneDrive Folder in Windows 10 [​IMG]

2. Click/tap on the Account tab, and click/tap on the Unlink this PC link under OneDrive. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Unlink account to confirm. (see screenshot below)

4. OneDrive will now be step 9 below. (see screenshot below)

5. Open the location (ex: "%UserProfile%") of where your OneDrive folder is in File Explorer, click/tap on the Home tab, and click/tap on the Move to button in the ribbon. (see screenshot below)

6. Click/tap on Choose location in the drop down. (see screenshot below)

7. Browse to and select the location (ex: "E:" drive) where you want to move your OneDrive folder, and click/tap on Move. (see screenshot below)

8. The OneDrive folder and all of its contents will now start moving to the new location (ex: "E:" drive). (see screenshot below)

9. When it has finished moving, return to the step 4 above, enter the email address for your Microsoft account, and click/tap on Sign in. (see screenshot below)

10. Enter the password for your Microsoft account, and click/tap on Sign in. (see screenshot below)

11. If you have turned on two-step verification for your Microsoft account, select how (ex: text) you want to receive your code, fill out any other required information, and click/tap on Send code. (see screenshot below)

A) Enter the code you received from Microsoft, and click/tap on Submit. (see screenshot below)

12. Click/tap on the Change location link. (see screenshot below)

13. Browse to the location (ex: "E:" drive) where you moved your OneDrive folder from step 7 above, select the OneDrive folder, and click/tap on Select Folder. (see screenshot below)

14. Click/tap on Use this location. (see screenshot below)

15. Verify that the new location (ex: "E:\OneDrive") is correct, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

16. When finished, looking through the Welcome to OneDrive guide, you can close the Microsoft OneDrive setup window. (see screenshots below)

17. Your OneDrive folder is now at the new location (ex: "E:\OneDrive" ) syncing the folders you had chosen in step 16 above. (see screenshots below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Sep 15, 2017
  2. Nicrite Win User

Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Freezer Win User

Windows 10 - OneDrive

Anyone know how to remove "OneDrive - For Business" from the Explorer navigation panel? I've tried just about every registry modification, and windows policy for "Onedrive" but they only seem to work for the consumer product, not for onedrive for business.

The onedrive product alone is so damn annoying and continues to load itself upon startup, even when it's explicitly remove from startup. It continues to automatically load and unload itself from within the startup folder... while I'm actively watching it load itself into the startup folder.

Freezer, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Shawn Brink, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Change Location of OneDrive Folder in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Location OneDrive

2. Changing folder location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing folder location: Can I change the location of folders that I have made up in the default videos program to a drive that I have also made from a simple volume?Kenneth https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-folder-location/7c53fd1a-117d-4841-92ec-e3c8272430a7
  3. Changing folder location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing folder location: Can I change the location of folders that I have made up in the default videos program to a drive that I have also made from a simple volume?Kenneth https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-folder-location/7c53fd1a-117d-4841-92ec-e3c8272430a7
  4. OneDrive location changes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive location changes: Why does the location for OneDrive keep changing? I set the GPS location for my address, but no help keeping location the same. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-location-changes/3b403250-be65-4311-947e-5db263330687
  5. OneDrive location changes

OneDrive location changes: Why does the location for OneDrive keep changing? I set the GPS location for my address, but no help keeping location the same. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-location-changes/3b403250-be65-4311-947e-5db263330687
  6. Changed system folder location in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Changed system folder location in Windows 10: I have a system folder called Movies that appears in My PC. This folder was a folder named F:\Movies. I have moved this folder to a new larger drive, so the system folder in My PC no longer points to it, and it doesn't work any more. How can I change this so that it now opens...
  7. Onedrive folder locations

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Onedrive folder locations: I have three separate folders for my OneDrive files in my File Explorer tree. The first folder is directly below the "Desktop" folder at the very top of the tree. The 2nd OneDrive folder is in my personal folder that has my name on it with the icon of a man for the folder....
  8. Windows 10 Folder Location Change

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Folder Location Change: Hi Does anyone have experience of moving special folder locations to a NAS drive using a script. i.e. Current Location: C:\Users\[username].[pcname]\Favorites to \\MYSTORAGENAS\Username\Documents\Favorites I am looking to speed up the process of moving the special folder...
  9. change of location of onedrive folder to truecrypt container

change of location of onedrive folder to truecrypt container: If I change the location of onedrive folder to a truecrypt container, then whether sync will work when the container is not mounted or I will have to mount the container to sync the onedrive folder. 30219
  10. Changing OneDrive download location

Changing OneDrive download location: Before using OneDrive all my data files were held on a seperate partition ion E: drive. I have now stored the main folders (eg Documents, Photographs, Spreadsheets) on OneDrive and now realise that as well as offline they are held in C: Users/Chris. Can I alter it so that...