Windows 10: Sign in or Sign out of Cortana in Windows 10

Discus and support Sign in or Sign out of Cortana in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Sign in or Sign out of Cortana in Windows 10 How to Sign in or Sign out of Cortana in Windows 10 Cortana is your cloud-based personal... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Chuck38, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Chuck38 Win User

Sign in or Sign out of Cortana in Windows 10

How to: Sign in or Sign out of Cortana in Windows 10

How to Sign in or Sign out of Cortana in Windows 10

Cortana is your cloud-based personal assistant that works across your devices and other Microsoft services. Depending on the capabilities of your device and the version of Cortana youre using, Cortana can provide a range of features, some of which are personalized. Cortana on Windows is available in certain regions and languages. If Cortana isnt available for your Windows device, you can still search for files on your device in the search box on the taskbar. Cortana is also available on other platforms, such as Android and iOS, in select markets.

Cortana works best when you sign in and let her use data from your device, other Microsoft services, and third-party services you choose to connect. To provide you with personalized experiences, Cortana learns from certain data about you, such as your searches, calendar, contacts, and location. Youre in control of how much data you share. If you choose not to sign into Cortana on Windows, you can still chat with Cortana and use her to help you search the web, documents stored in Microsoft services like OneDrive, and your Windows device. See the section about Windows Search in the Privacy Statement for more information. If you dont sign in, or you choose to sign out, your experiences will be more limited and they wont be personalized with your Cortana data. On iOS and Android devices, Cortana only works when you sign in.

Signing in to Cortana with your Microsoft account allows Cortana to keep track of what interests you, save your nickname or favorite places to the Notebook, give you your notifications from other devices, and share data youve saved between Windows and non-Windows devices with Cortana enabled. On Windows, you can decide to give Cortana permission to use other data, including your location and location history, contacts, browsing history, calendar details, and content and communication history from messages, apps, and notifications. On Android and iOS, you can control some of these permissions through the app permissions in the systems settings. To help you follow things that interest you, such as your favorite sports teams, stocks you are tracking, interesting news, and restaurants, you can add and remove items from the Notebook. When signed in, Cortana displays and uses interests from other Microsoft apps or services like the Sports and News apps. Using Connected Services or Skills, Cortana can also connect you to services from other companies, like Uber, for additional personalized experiences using data shared with or received by the other company.

Users have to be a certain age (13 or older) to use Cortana. When a user tries to sign into Cortana, she checks the age setting for that particular Microsoft account, and users she identifies as too young cannot sign in or have a personalized Cortana experience. But Cortana on Windows will still be there to help those users search the web or perform other tasks that dont require any personal data.

Signing out of Cortana clears the data Cortana has associated with that device. Your data associated with other devices will remain intact until you sign out from Cortana on those devices as well. Signing out of Cortana on your device stops Cortanas data collection and use on that device and clears the interests and data on that device, but signing out wont hide Cortana. And if you want to search for files on your device, such as documents or photos, you can always use the search feature in File Explorer.

For more information about Cortana, see:
    Signing out of Cortana will only turn on or off Cortana the personal assistant, and not the Cortana process (SearchUI.exe) used by Windows Search.

Cortana is only available in certain regions and languages, and some Cortana features might not be available everywhere. If Cortana isn't available or is turned off, you can still use search.

Cortana will need access to your device location and location history to work properly, so the Windows location service must be turned on for your device and account.

This tutorial will show you how to sign in and sign out of Cortana with your Microsoft account to turn on or off Cortana personalization in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Sign Out of Cortana to Turn Off Cortana Personalization from Taskbar
    • Option Two: Sign In to Cortana to Turn On Cortana Personalization from Taskbar
    • Option Three: Sign Out of Cortana to Turn Off Cortana Personalization from Settings
    • Option Four: Sign In to Cortana to Turn On Cortana Personalization from Settings

EXAMPLE: Cortana

OPTION ONE [/i] Sign Out of Cortana to Turn Off Cortana Personalization from Taskbar
    1. Click/tap on the Cortana icon on the taskbar, and click/tap on your user icon on the left. (see screenshot below)

Sign in or Sign out of Cortana in Windows 10 [​IMG]

2. Go to step 3 in Option Three below.

OPTION TWO [/i] Sign In to Cortana to Turn On Cortana Personalization from Taskbar
    1. Click/tap on the Cortana icon on the taskbar, click/tap on your user icon on the left, and click/tap on Sign in. (see screenshot below)

2. Select your Microsoft account, and click/tap on Continue to sign in. (see screenshot below)

*note If your Microsoft account is not listed or you need to create one, then click/tap on the Microsoft account option instead and follow the given setup instructions.

OPTION THREE [/i] Sign Out of Cortana to Turn Off Cortana Personalization from Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Cortana icon.

2. Click/tap on Permissions on the left side, and click/tap on the button showing your email address under Personalize on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the Sign out link. (see screenshot below)

4. You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Sign In to Cortana to Turn On Cortana Personalization from Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Cortana icon.

2. Click/tap on Permissions on the left side, and click/tap on the Sign In button under Personalize on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Sign in. (see screenshot below)

4. Select your Microsoft account, and click/tap on Continue to sign in. (see screenshot below)

*note If your Microsoft account is not listed or you need to create one, then click/tap on the Microsoft account option instead and follow the given setup instructions.

5. You can now close Settings if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Chuck38, Feb 5, 2015
  2. MierMoto Win User

Can't sign out or switch users in windows 10

Any solution to this? I have the same issue, which doesn't occur on any of my other devices. Everything's up to date and everything else works fine. It's just this annoying issue, which is quite pronounced as we need to change users quite often in the
    house.

MierMoto, Feb 5, 2015
  3. Can't sign out or switch users in windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To diagnose whether this issue occurs in
    “Safe Mode”
    , let’s reboot the computer in safe mode and check if the issue appears there as well.

Safe mode is a diagnostic mode for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started. This helps us in identifying whether the issue is due to some
    third party programs conflict. The word Safe mode appear in the concern of your monitor to identify which windows mode you are using.

Follow the steps given below and check if that helps.

• Type settings in search and click on Settings.

• Click Update and recovery, and then tap or
      click Recovery.

• Under Advanced startup, tap or click Restart now.

• Once your PC restarts, on the Choose an option screen, tap or click
      Troubleshoot.

• If you don't see the Startup Settings option, tap or click
      advanced options.

• Tap or click Startup Settings.

• Tap or click Restart.

• On the Startup Settings screen, choose the
      Safe Mode.

• Sign in to your PC with a user account that has
      administrator rights.

If the issue does not exist, try to clean boot the system.

Placing your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

[Steps for Windows 8.1 hold for Windows 10 systems]

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Harkanwar Singh, Feb 5, 2015
  4. Sign in or Sign out of Cortana in Windows 10

Yep good one Shawn too late though *Tongue

ThrashZone, Feb 5, 2015
  5. rfruth Win User
    rfruth, Feb 5, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Never. *Tongue

Brink, Feb 5, 2015
  7. alkaufmann, Feb 5, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Currently, you're suppose to click/tap on the microphone icon in the search box before Cortana starts to listen.

However, you never know. *Wink

Brink, Feb 5, 2015
  9. Chuck38 Win User
    What about the "Hey Cortana" command? I suppose it would be listening to you all the time if you have that enabled.

Chuck38, Feb 5, 2015
  10. Edwin New Member
    After a clean install the other night, Cortana seems to be further crippled. The clean install reset a lot of things over and above what the rollup the other day did. Still tryin to sort it all out.

Edwin, Feb 5, 2015
  11. I would think Microsoft may run across some privacy concerns like Samsung and their Smart TV which if I heard right feeds what it heard to a third party that translates what you say into TV commands.

alkaufmann, Feb 5, 2015
  12. Edwin New Member
    If somebody's listenin on me they'd be bored to tears! Then again, I always have the music too loud so it wouldn't matter anyway! *Biggrin

Edwin, Feb 6, 2015
  13. Chuck38 Win User

If somebody's listenin on me they'd be bored to tears! Then again, I always have the music too loud so it wouldn't matter anyway! *Biggrin Free music! See, I use headphones so they would just hear dead air. *Wink

Chuck38, Feb 6, 2015
  14. Burgurne Win User
    I have tried to follow your guide, but it does not work for me. When I click in the Searchbar as in Option One in the Guide, I get only a complete white menu with the text:

I'm afraid I'm not available to help in your region.

I use an English Windows 10 Preview build 9926 with all updates, downloaded from Microsofts official website.

I don't want to talk to my PC, only typing, but so far I'm do not even know what "Cortana" really is, and how it is different from normal search *Redface.

As I can't turn it on, I don't know what to do about it.

Burgurne, Feb 20, 2015
  15. Edwin New Member
    Have you tried it setting your region, language and keyboard settings, (and perhaps, your timezone), to EnglishUS?

Also sign in with an MS account.

Edwin, Feb 20, 2015
Thema:

1. Sign in or Sign out of Cortana in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Sign Sign Cortana

2. Problem signing in to Cortana

in Cortana
    Problem signing in to Cortana: I am not able to sign in to Cortana using my personal Microsoft account but when I sign in using my work account it works fine. [ATTACH] This is what it shows when I sign in using my personal account. And [ATTACH] This is it working perfectly with my work account. How...
  3. WINDOW SIGNS IN AND SIGNS OUT

in Windows 10 Customization
    WINDOW SIGNS IN AND SIGNS OUT: Hi, A week ago when i opened my PC, i show it is asking for a check disk scanCHKDSK. So i waited for it to complete and when it was completed then i saw that window signs in and signs out automatically and it goes back to the lock screen. Nothing happens when i click on sign...
  4. Cortana sign in

in Cortana
    Cortana sign in: Hey everyone, So recently I've notice Cortana is having some issues after attempting to sign in, like just hanging on what seems to be an overloading home page. I click the cortana button on my taskbar and this happens: https://ibb.co/tLZQs6k Cortana will load in and ask...
  5. Cortana sign in

in Cortana
    Cortana sign in: When I sign in to Cortana, it says that minors are not allowed to use their Microsoft accounts with it. A simple Bing search shows that the minimum age needed to use it is 13 and I am 15. I have checked my age in my Microsoft account and it is right. It shows the following...
  6. Signing out in Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Signing out in Windows 10: When I "Sign Off", either by Ctrl-Alt-Del, or going through User name in start menu, the screen goes blank, I am unable to wake it through the mouse or keyboard. I have to power it down and restart it. This has\is been happening to several users in my office, I've tried on...
  7. Sign in and Sign out of Photos app in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Sign in and Sign out of Photos app in Windows 10: How to: Sign in and Sign out of Photos app in Windows 10 How to Sign in and Sign out of Photos app with Microsoft Account in Windows 10 The Photos app is included in Windows 10 by default. You can use the Photos app to view and edit your photos and videos, make movies,...
  8. Sign in and Sign out of Sticky Notes in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Sign in and Sign out of Sticky Notes in Windows 10: How to: Sign in and Sign out of Sticky Notes in Windows 10 How to Sign in and Sign out of Sticky Notes in Windows 10 The Sticky Notes app is a preinstalled UWP (Universal Windows Platform) app in Windows 10. This apps allows you to create and save notes to the desktop...
  9. Sign out of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Sign out of Windows 10: How to: Sign out of Windows 10 How to Sign out of Windows 10 When you sign out of Windows, all of the apps you were using are closed, but the PC isn't turned off. Another person can sign in without needing to restart the PC. This tutorial will show you different...
  10. Windows 10 Sign Out

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Sign Out: I have been working with Windows 10 since they launched it with no problems. About a week ago the Sign Out drop down disappeared. When I click on my name the Apps Menu closes. If I hover on my name, nothing happens. I have been signing out using task manager. Any ideas? 26265