Windows 10: Custom Install Windows 10

Discus and support Custom Install Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Custom Install Windows 10 How to Custom Install Windows 10 When you perform a custom install of Windows 10, a clean install of Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by mattman, Sep 24, 2016.

1. mattman Win User

Custom Install Windows 10

How to: Custom Install Windows 10

How to Custom Install Windows 10

When you perform a custom install of Windows 10, a clean install of Windows 10 is performed only on the same partition as the previous installation of Windows to replace it, and the previous installation is moved into the C:\Windows.old folder as a backup. Once the custom install has finished, you will be able to copy any files you want back from the C:\Windows.old folder.

A custom install of Windows 10 can be useful if you are unable to start Windows for whatever reason, need to reinstall Windows, but do not want to lose any files in your current installation by doing a full clean install.

This tutorial will show you step by step on how to do a custom install of Windows 10 with UEFI or Legacy BIOS on your PC.

*note You will need to be connected to the Internet while performing a custom install.

Here's How:

1. Temporarily disconnect all non OS hard drives until Windows installation has finished. This is to avoid Windows Setup from installing files or partitions on other hard drives by mistake.

2. Do the step below depending on how you want to do a custom install of Windows 10.
    • step 3: To Custom Install Windows 10 with bootable USB
    • step 4: To Custom Install Windows 10 with an ISO file
    3. To Custom Install Windows 10 with bootable USB
    *note This option is good to use if you are unable able to boot into Windows.
    A) If you haven't already, you will need to create a bootable Windows 10 installation USB.

B) step 5 below.

4. To Custom Install Windows 10 with an ISO file
    *note You must be signed in to Windows as an administrator to do this option.
    A) If you haven't already, you will need to download a Windows 10 ISO file.

B) Mount the ISO file. (see screenshot below)

Custom Install Windows 10 [​IMG]

C) Open the drive (ex: "D") for the mounted ISO file, open the Sources folder, and run the setup file. (see screenshot below)

D) If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes to approve. (see screenshot below)

E) Click/tap on the Go online to install updates now option. (see screenshot below)

F) Windows Setup will now check for and install any available updates. Go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

5. Select your language, time and currency, and keyboard or input method preferences, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

6. Click/tap on the Install Now button to start the installation. (see screenshot below)

7. Enter the activated, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

*note If you do not have a product key available right now, then you can click/tap on the I don't have a product key link to be able to manually linked Microsoft account.

You will not be asked to enter a product key in Windows 10 Enterprise. You will need to activate later after installation has finished.

If you took advantage of the free Windows 10 offer, then you can enter the Windows 7 or Windows 8 product key that you upgraded to Windows 10 from.

If this is an OEM PC that has a valid product key embedded in its UEFI firmware chip, then you will not be prompted to enter a product key. Windows 10 will automatically use the embedded product key if its valid for the edition being installed. If needed, you can change the product key after installation has finished.

8. Check the I accept the license terms box, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

9. Click/tap on the Custom: Install Windows only (advanced) option. (see screenshot below)

10. Select the Primary partition that Windows is installed on, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshots below)

11. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

12. The installation of Windows 10 will now begin. (see screenshots below)

*note During the installation, your screen may flash and computer will restart a few times.

13. During restarts, ignore the Choose an operating system or Windows Boot Manager screens. You do not need to do anything on them since the installation will automatically continue. (see screenshots below)

14. When installing Windows 10 has finished, you will now be greeted by Cortana (if supported) to assist in setting up Windows 10. (see screenshots below)

*note You can click/tap on the microphone icon at the bottom at anytime to toggle voice mode on and off as needed or wanted.

15. Select your region (ex: "United States"), and click/tap on Yes. (see screenshot below)

16. Select your keyboard layout (ex: "US"), and click/tap on Yes. (see screenshot below)

17. Select Add layout or Skip depending on if you want to add a second keyboard layout. (see screenshots below)

18. Windows Setup will now check for an Internet connection. If an Internet connection is not detected, it will prompt you to select an Ethernet network or setup and connect to your wireless network, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshots below)

*note If you currently do not have an Internet connection available, then you can click/tap on the Skip for now link at the bottom left, and go to step 22C below.

19. Select How would you like to set up (Pro) or Choose how you'll connect (Enterprise or Education), and click/tap on Next. (see screenshots below)

*note You will not see this if installing a Windows 10 Home edition.

For Windows 10 Pro:

Set up for an organization = Domain

Set up for personal use = Local home PC

For Windows 10 Education and Enterprise:

Join Azure Active Directory = Choose this option if your organization uses Office 365 or other business services from Microsoft. Your organization might collect info about you, install or remove apps, change settings or disable features, delete content, or reset your device. Talk to your support staff to learn more. This will let you setup Windows with a work or school account now.

Join a local Active Directory domain = This will let you setup Windows with a local account now. When setup is finished, you can join a domain, or step 23C below after selecting this option.

20. Do the step below depending on if your would like to set up Windows 10 to sign you in with a local account or Microsoft account.
    • step 21: Set up Windows 10 with a Microsoft account
    • step 22: Set up Windows 10 with a local account
    21. To Set Up Windows 10 with a Microsoft Account
    A) Type in the email address, phone number, or Skype name you have registered for your Microsoft account, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

*note If you do not have a Microsoft account and would like to use one, then click/tap on the Create account link to create a new Microsoft account.

B) Enter the password for your Microsoft account, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

C) If you have two-step verification turned on for your Microsoft account, then select how you would like to get your code, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshots below)

D) Enter the code you received from Microsoft, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

E) If your PC has a camera that supports Windows Hello, then you can click/tap on Set up to use your face to sign in to Windows 10. If you do not want to, then click/tap on Skip for now. (see screenshot below)

*note You will always be able to add a face later if you like in Windows 10.

F) If you want to use a PIN with your Microsoft account in Windows 10, then click/tap on the Set a PIN button. If you do not want to use a PIN, then click/tap on Cancel or the Do this later link instead. (see screenshot below)

*note You will always be able to remove your PIN later if you like in Windows 10.

G) If you wanted to link your iPhone or Android and this PC, then you could enter your phone number and click/tap on Send to have an app link sent to your phone to do so. Otherwise, just click/tap on Next to skip this. (see screenshot below)

*note You will always be able to add a phone at anytime from within Settings > Phone.

H) You will now be prompted if you would like step 23 below. (see screenshot below)

*note You will always be able to turn on or off folder protection with OneDrive at anytime in Windows 10.

22. To Set Up Windows 10 with a Local Account
    A) Click/tap on the Offline account link. (see screenshots below)

*note If this is for Windows 10 Enterprise, then you would click/tap on the Set up Windows with a local account instead link, and go to step 22C below.

B) Click/tap on No. (see screenshot below)

C) Enter a user name you want for the local account, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

D) Enter a password you want for the local account, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

*note If you do not want this local account to have a password, then leave this field empty instead, click/tap on Next, and go to step 23 below.

E) Enter the password again to confirm, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

F) Select a security question (1 of 3) you want from the drop menu, type your answer, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

G) Select a security question (2 of 3) you want from the drop menu, type your answer, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

H) Select a security question (3 of 3) you want from the drop menu, type your answer, press Enter, and go to step 23 below. (see screenshot below)

23. Click/tap on Decline or Accept depending on if you want to use Cortana with your account in Windows 10. (see screenshot below)

*note You will be able to turn Cortana on or off at anytime in Windows 10.

24. Click/tap on No or Yes depending on if you want to turn on Activity History for your account in Windows 10. (see screenshot below)

*note You will be able to turn Activity History on or off at anytime in Windows 10.

25. Turn on or off the privacy settings you want, and click/tap on Accept when finished. (see screenshots below)

*note You will be able to change all of these privacy settings at anytime in Windows 10.

26. Windows Setup will now start getting things ready you.

27. If prompted, click/tap on Yes (on) or No (off) for network discovery. (see screenshot below)

*note You will always be able to turn on or off network discovery at anytime in Windows 10.

28. When the custom install has finished, you will be on your desktop in Windows 10. (see screenshot below)

29. Make sure that you have the correct time set.

30. Install any needed drivers for your devices.

31. If you like, you can now open the C:\Windows.old folder to copy back any files you may want from your previous installation. (see screenshots below)

*note If you already had a Windows.old folder when you performed a custom install, then it will be renamed to say Windows.old.000, Windows.old.001, etc... (older previous installations). The most recent previous installation will always be in the C:\Windows.old folder.

*Warning The previous installation contents in the Windows.old folder will be automatically deleted in 10 days by default.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

mattman, Sep 24, 2016

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Delta6326 Win User
    Delta6326, Oct 27, 2019
  4. CK011885 Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Oct 27, 2019
  6. r.h.p Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

What's your intended PC specs ??

r.h.p, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Custom Install Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Custom Install

2. Using the DISM tool to create a custom install disk without the $Windows.~LS folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using the DISM tool to create a custom install disk without the $Windows.~LS folder: HI I am creating a custom image Windows installation bootable USB which works well. My issue is that after installation a folder with all the .svm files called $Windows.~LS is created and this consumes alot of space almost 27Gb's. I am a bit hard pressed for space.Is there...
  3. Using the DISM tool to create a custom install disk without the $Windows.~LS folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using the DISM tool to create a custom install disk without the $Windows.~LS folder: HI I am creating a custom image Windows installation bootable USB which works well. My issue is that after installation a folder with all the .svm files called $Windows.~LS is created and this consumes alot of space almost 27Gb's. I am a bit hard pressed for space.Is there...
  4. Using the DISM tool to create a custom install disk without the $Windows.~LS folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Custom install and new Install windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Custom install and new Install windows 11: Has anyone got any views.I have been working with Microsoft for a while in Indexing and other issues ever since I upgraded from 10 to 11. it was working okay but with recent updates now I am on windows 11 version 23H2, got a few issues like no sound and I note a lot of web...
  6. Custom install and new Install windows 11

Custom install and new Install windows 11: Has anyone got any views.I have been working with Microsoft for a while in Indexing and other issues ever since I upgraded from 10 to 11. it was working okay but with recent updates now I am on windows 11 version 23H2, got a few issues like no sound and I note a lot of web...
  7. Error 2203 During Installation of Custom MSI on Multiple Machines: Troubleshooting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error 2203 During Installation of Custom MSI on Multiple Machines: Troubleshooting: We encountered an issue while installing the MSI using the following command: msiexec /i localMSI.msi /qn /L*V localMSI.log The installation process displayed an error message stating: "The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may...
  8. Error 2203 During Installation of Custom MSI on Multiple Machines: Troubleshooting

Error 2203 During Installation of Custom MSI on Multiple Machines: Troubleshooting: We encountered an issue while installing the MSI using the following command: msiexec /i localMSI.msi /qn /L*V localMSI.log The installation process displayed an error message stating: "The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may...
  9. Error 2203 During Installation of Custom MSI on Multiple Machines: Troubleshooting

10. Q1: How can fix the Black screen problem after custom installation of Windows ?

Q1: How can fix the Black screen problem after custom installation of Windows ?: I was getting BIOS Startup time 56-58s constantly meaning my pc takes much time to work than usual.So I tried many ways to reduce it but didn't work.Then I thought I might Reboot my PC and later after downloading iso file on my pc ,i tried to setup windows without usb ....